Elena name meaning
On This Page
What does Elena mean?
Renowned and Perpetual Elena is originated from Old Greek and Old Provençal bestowed upon both genders, Elena means "Light, Sun Ray, Shining, Form of Eleanor, Variant of Helen, Feminine of Alexander, Defender of Mankind, Sun, The Bright One, The Torch or Excellent" is used predominantly in Marathi, Old Norse, English, Slavic, Danish, Kannada, Norwegian, Icelandic, German, Romanian, Malayalam, Russian, Bengali, Spanish, Telugu, Italian, Czech, Finnish, Tamil, Hindi, Gujarati, Swedish and Oriya.
Elena is variation of dominant, hot and immutable Alexandra. Alexandra is feminine form of Alexander. Alexandra means Protect and Man and Man's Defender is originated from Old Greek. Elena is form of famed and conifer Eleanor.
Eleanor is derivative of Helen. Eleanor is English form of Eleonora. Of Old Greek and Old Provençal origin, Customary and Perennial Eleanor, Eleanor means "Torch and Light". Elena is variant of unfading and widespread Helen.
Helen is English form of Helene. Of English and Old Greek origin, Admired and All time favorite Helen, Helen means "Moon Elope and Shoot". Elena is variant form of eternal and noteworthy Helene.
Helene is variation of loved and perpetual Helen. Also Helene is form of lofty Selene. Helene means The Torch, Shine One and Torch is rooted from Old Greek. Elena is version of imperishable and outstanding Helena.
Helena is variant form of frequently used and ceaseless Helen. Helena is Latin cognate of Helene. Helena means Shine One and Torch has origin in Old Greek.
How do I pronounce Elena?
One syllabled Elena is most commonly pronounced as eh-LAY-nah. The pronunciation choose to emphasis on second LAY syllable. eh-LEN-ah, EL-en-ah, el-ay-nah or e-le-na are the different way(s) to pronounce the name.
Variants of Elena
Elenah, Helena, Helene, Alexandra, Eleanor, Helen, Alena, Ella, Selene, Eilen, Leni, Leny, Alandra, Lexia, Aleka, Axelia, Alienor, Eleonora, Aleanor, Aline, Eileen, Elle, Leona, Ilene, Helenmarie, Mariaelena, Elenamarie, Maria, Mariam, Mariamne, Mirjam
Nicknames for Elena
Plentitude of nicknames available for the given name Elena include:
How popular is the name Elena?
a popular name in United States having over 77817 recievers in 151 years of usage. When at its peak in 2018, 3863 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 66th position.
Additionally, the name has been in the top 100 baby names 3 times Also, a popular name in France having over 20313 recievers in 110 years of usage. Currently the name is hotter than ever, it ranked 44th when 1228 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 4 times Also, Elena was among the popular names in Spain. Since emerging in 2002 around 34854 babies have been given the name.
When at the peak of its usage in 2003, 2693 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 13rd position. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 17 years but still going strong on charts.
In addition to that, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 17 times Also, Elena was a popular name in Italy. Over 50171 babies have been given the first name in 20 years.
At its zenith in 1999, the moniker grabbed the 14th spot and 3001 baby girls were given the name. However after 20 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Moreover, the given name has been to the top 50 baby names 20 times
A common name in England and Wales with over 6145 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
At its zenith in 2018, it ranked 132nd when 394 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, A common name in Switzerland with over 5336 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
When at the peak of its usage in 2013, it ranked 3rd when 327 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 7 times Also, A common name in Netherlands having over 1002 recievers in 5 years of usage.
Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 2019, 237 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 54th position. Also, In Finland, Elena was once a common name since emerging in 1969 it has been given to over 354 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 1971,. After 3 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Additionally, the given name has been in the top 10 baby names 1 times Also, A common name in Belgium with over 4640 new-borns have been given the name since 1995.
Presently peaked at the charts, 369 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 7th position. Also, A common name in New South Wales having over 298 recievers in 3 years of usage.
Presently the name is rising, in 2019, 112 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 56th position.
Elena is a familiar baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1967 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2014, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 117 on girl names chart when 51 babies were given the name Elena. Over 699 people have been named Elena in Ireland.
Also, in Queensland, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2018, 52 babies were given Elena and it reached its peak ranking, 100 on girl names chart.
Also, in Victoria, in just 3 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2018, 71 babies were given Elena and it reached its peak ranking, 76 on girl names chart.
There are over 205 babies that have been given the name Elena in Victoria.
Elena is a rare baby name in Queensland where it is still in use. However things change on global perspective, Elena is extremely popular in Russia where every 1 in 40 have the name as well as in, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Romania, Belarus, Philippines, Mexico, Argentina and Tajikistan.
Also the baby name is popular in Moldova, Turkmenistan, Peru, Germany, Bulgaria, Cuba, Bolivia, Chile, Brazil, Lithuania, Colombia, Slovakia, Egypt, Guatemala, Venezuela, Kyrgyzstan, Ecuador, Canada, Greece, England, Paraguay, Dominican Republic, Poland, Israel, Transnistria, Honduras, DR Congo, Georgia, Uruguay, Cyprus, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Panama, Czech Republic and North Macedonia.
As per our findings, over 8410000 people has been named Elena globally.
Elena in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Elena
When it comes to friendships, you respect the people you hang out with and you are always there to give a hand when needed. When it comes to life goals, you dream big, meaning you are ambitious and self-confident. Achieving inner peace and harmony in life is what's most important to you. Expressing your emotions is what you are good at. Gaining your trust is a hard thing to accomplish. You act cold around people not because you are insensitive as they believe but scared of getting carried away by your emotions.
Do you like Elena? You would love these names
- Cathérine - Originated from Old Greek, Cathérine means "The Pure", a girl name is particulary used in Swedish and French
- Jacinthe means Precious Stone is used as a baby girl name and is specifically used in French is rooted from Greek and Old Greek
- Alcide - Desirable and Perennial boy name Alcide is used substantially in Italian, meaning of Alcide is "Strong Man or Greek General In the 5Th Century Av J" is of Old Greek and Greek origin
- Napoléon - Napoléon means "New City or Lion" has its origin in Greek
- Irita - Odd girl name Irita is used especially in English that originated from Old Greek, meaning of Irita is "Rainbow, Radiance and Inspired By the Eponymous Greek Messenger of the Gods". Irita is a short of Iris.
Middle names for Elena
Here is a list of familiar and teeny-weeny middle names that go with the baby name Elena.
View more middle names that goes with Elena.
Sibling Names for Elena
If you're looking for a sibling name to go with Elena, we've got you covered. Whether you want something that matches in style or just compliments the name, our list of options will give you plenty of inspiration. From classic to trendy, here are some great sibling names for your new arrival.
Sister to Elena
Brother to Elena
Famous people named Elena
- Elena Kats-Chernin, Australian pianist and composer
- Elena Slough,
- Elena Dostay, Russian archer
- Elena Souliotis, Greek operatic soprano
- Elena Nicolai, Bulgarian operatic mezzo-soprano
- Elena Del Rubio,
- Elena Nozdran, badminton player from Ukraine
- Elena Bomeshko, is a Transnistrian politician
- Elena Bashkirova, pianist and musical director
- Elena Gadel, Spanish singer
- Elena Ralph, Israeli model and beauty queen
- Elena Tokun, Russian water polo player
- Elena Kamburova, Russian singer and actress
- Elena Espinosa, Spanish politician
- Elena Balmori, Filipina Actress
- Elena Gaja, Romanian mezzo-soprano opera singer
- Elena Baramova, Bulgarian-born operatic soprano
- Elena Votsi, Greek jewelry designer
- Elena Firsova, Russian composer
- Elena Carter Richardson, American ballerina and dance instructor
- Elena Ledda, Italian singer from Sardinia
- Elena Maria Vidal, historical novelist and noted blogger living
- Elena Yoncheva, Bulgarian freelance journalist and former Bulgarian National Television correspondent
- Elena Miller, Russian, whom
- Elena Osokina, Russian historian
- Elena Machabell, Soviet sculptor
- Elena Krykanova, former ice dancer who represented the Soviet Union
- Elena Antoci, Romanian middle distance runner
- Elena Ginko, Belarusian race walker
- Elena Pucić-Sorkočević, first female composer in the Republic of Ragusa
- Elena Benarroch, Spanish fashion designer
- Elena Duran, Mexican American flautist
- Elena Shaddow, American singer and actress
- Elena Hila, female shot putter from Romania
- Elena Iparraguirre, high-ranking member of the Peruvian Maoist revolutionary party Sendero Luminoso
- Elena Nikolaidi, noted Greek-American opera singer and teacher
- Elena Kolomina, Kazakhstani cross country skier
- Elena Rover, digital strategy consultant in the New York area
- Elena Garro, Mexican writer
- Elena Kostioukovitch, essayist and literary translator
- Elena Sliepcevich, was one of the leading figures
- Elena Gerhardt, German mezzo-soprano singer associated with the singing of German classical lieder
- Elena Medel, Spanish poet
- Elena Boledovičová, former Czechoslovak/Slovak handball player
- Elena Brezányiová, former Czechoslovak/Slovak handball player
- Elena Nikoli, Greek handball player
- Elena Cornaro Piscopia, Venetian philosopher of noble descent
- Elena Berezhnaya, figure skater
- Elena Baranova, retired Russian professional basketball player
- Elena Mukhina, Soviet gymnast
- Elena Reid, American boxer and mixed martial artist
Lists having Elena
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Czech Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Roman Baby Names
- Russian Baby Names
- Slavic Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -lena
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in France (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Italy (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Sun
- Baby Names that mean Ray
- Baby Names that mean Shining
- Baby Names that mean Eleanor
- Baby Names that mean Defender
- Baby Names that mean Mankind
- Baby Names that mean Bright
- Baby Names that mean One
- Baby Names that mean Torch
- Baby Names that mean Excellent