Ella name meaning
On This Page
What does Ella mean?
The name Ella is of English origin and means "other, foreign". It is a diminutive form of the name Eleanor. The name first appeared in the 12th century.
The popularity of the name Ella increased in the 19th century due to Queen Victoria's granddaughter Princess Alice, who was given the name as a middle name.
The name also became popular in Scandinavia after the publication of Lars Gyllenstierna's epic poem The Story of Gösta Berling in 1891.
Ella has been used as a given name since the Middle Ages.
It gained popularity in England after the Norman Conquest, when it was introduced by Breton settlers. By the 13th century, it had become one of the most common names in England.
The popularity of Ella continued into the 20th century, when it was used by authors such as W.
E. Henley and James Joyce for their female characters. It remains a popular name today.
There are many famous people named Ella, including the singer Ella Fitzgerald, the actress Ella Henderson, and the writer Ella Wheeler Wilcox.
Each of these women has made a significant impact in her field, and their stories are inspiring.
Ella Fitzgerald was one of the most popular jazz singers of her time. She started singing in nightclubs in Harlem when she was just 17 years old.
Over the course of her career, she won 13 Grammy Awards and recorded more than 200 albums. She is remembered as a trailblazer in the world of jazz music.
Ella Henderson rose to fame as a contestant on The X Factor UK in 2012.
Since then, she has released two studio albums and several singles, including the hit song “Ghost”. She has achieved commercial success in both the UK and US, and is currently working on new music.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox was a prolific poet and author who wrote more than 25 books during her lifetime.
Her most famous poem, “Solitude”, is still widely read today. She was also an advocate for women’s rights, and her work helped to shape the way women were viewed in society during the early 20th century.
There are many reasons why baby name Ella is a good choice.
It is a beautiful, feminine name that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Additionally, it has several nickname options – Ellie, Elle, or even Lala – which gives parents the ability to choose a name that fits their child perfectly.
Finally, baby name Ella is associated with positive attributes such as kindness, intelligence, and creativity. All of these factors make Ella an excellent choice for any parent looking for the perfect baby name.
Does Ella work as a baby name?
Ella is a beautiful and unique name that originated from Germany. It has several meanings, such as "other", "fairy maiden", and "goddess". It is an ideal name for a baby girl because it conveys strength and beauty.
The name is short and easy to remember, but still has a special meaning behind it. Parents who choose this name would be making the perfect choice for their daughter because it will be memorable and meaningful to them.
Ella also has the potential to stand out among other names as well.
How do I pronounce Ella?
Two syllabled Ella is most commonly pronounced as el-ah. It can also be pronounced as ell-uh.
Variants of Ella
Nicknames for Ella
The name Ella is already a short name, but some possible candidates include:Names that rhyme with Ella
How popular is the name Ella?
Ella is a very popular name in United States given to over 305640 babies in 221 years. Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 2011, 9871 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 12nd position.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 41 times Also, Ella was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 59367 babies have been given the first name in 23 years.
At its zenith in 2015, the moniker grabbed the 6th spot and 3671 baby girls were given the name. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 23 years but still going strong on charts.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 10 baby names 6 times Also, Ella is a popular in France where over 6320 new-borns have been given the name since 1901.
Presently at its peak, it ranked 118th when 512 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 500 baby names 35 times Also, Ella was a popular name in Sweden.
Over 3040 babies have been named Ella since 1998. At the peak of its usage in 2006, the moniker grabbed the 11st spot and 765 baby girls were given the name.
After 7 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 5 times
Ella was a common name in Ireland.
Over 3708 babies have been named Ella since 1993. At its zenith in 2005,. However after 16 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. Also, Ella is common in Switzerland where over 1916 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
Currently the name is hotter than ever, it ranked 20th when 237 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, Ella is common in Netherlands where over 1318 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
Presently the moniker is on a rise, in 2019, 297 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 38th position. Also, Ella was a common name in Denmark. Over 1559 babies have been named Ella since 2008.
At its zenith in 2013,. After 6 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Additionally, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 6 times Also, Ella is a common name in Belgium given to over 4115 babies in 22 years.
Presently the name is rising, in 2009, it ranked 10th when 365 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, Ella is a common name in New South Wales given to over 4720 babies in 14 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2019, the moniker grabbed the 10th spot and 461 baby girls were given the name. Also, In Queensland, Ella was once a common name since emerging in 1997 it has been given to over 2485 babies.
When at its peak in 2011,. However after 11 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still going strong. Also, Ella is a common name in Western Australia given to over 140 babies in 1 years.
When at its peak in 2017, 140 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 10th position. Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 1 times Also, A common name in Victoria having over 2105 recievers in 8 years of usage.
When at the peak of its usage in 2014, 318 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 10th position. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 10 baby names 2 times
Ella is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today.
There are over 140 babies that have been given the name Ella in Western Australia. But Ella is a popular baby name in Germany where every 1 in 4000 have the name as well as in, Russia, Indonesia, Uzbekistan, Central African Republic, Philippines, England, South Africa, Madagascar and Chad.
At least, 390000 people globally have been given the name as per our evaluation.
Ella in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Ella
Open your mind and allow yourself to form a different opinion than the usual one you have. Our advice to you "Fake it until you make it." The capstone of your name reveals your true personality, your skills, and unique abilities. Be more flexible and less stubborn. People see you as their leader because of your attitude, determination, and creative thinking. You are trustworthy and hate liars who obsess over material things.
Do you like Ella? Read these names too
- Agapetos - Boy name Agapetos is originated from Hebrew and Old Greek, meaning of Agapetos is "Beloved". Agapetos is a derivation of Agapito.
- Nikhil - Commonly Accepted boy name Nikhil means "Prithvi, Entire or Complete" dominantly used in Oriya, Sindhi and Marathi came from Old Greek, Sanskrit and Hindi
- Alexian - The odd and fresh boy name Alexian has origin in Greek, Alexian means "Protect or Repel"
- Traci - Illustrous Traci notably is used in English came from Old Greek and Old French, meaning of Traci is "Courageous or Warrior" is used as a gender insensitive name
- Bernicia - Unheard-of and Fresh girl name Bernicia is used substantially in Spanish. Its origin is in Old Greek, meaning of Bernicia is "Bringing Victory"
Middle names for Ella
Here is a list of admired and familiar middle names that go with the baby name Ella.
View more middle names that goes with Ella.
Sibling Names for Ella
If you're considering naming your baby girl "Ella," you might be looking for a sibling name that complements it. Whether you prefer classic or unique names, here are some ideas to help you find the perfect match for your new addition to the family.
For a sister
For a brother
Famous people named Ella
- Ella Maillart, Swiss adventurer, travel writer and photographer
- Ella Wheeler Wilcox, American author and poet
- Ella Gauntt Smith, innovative American doll manufacturer
- Ella Reeve Bloor, American labor organizer and long-time activist
- Ella Gudrun Ingeborg Holleufer, was married to the two time Prime Minister of Denmark
- Ella Johnson, American jazz and rhythm and blues vocalist
- Ella Kamanya, Namibian politician and businesswoman
- Ella Bohlin, Christian Democratic politician in Sweden
- Ella Flagg Young, American educator
- Ella Adayevskaya, Russian composer, pianist, and ethnomusicologist
- Ella Trout, fisherwoman from Hallsands, Devon, England
- Ella Logan, Scottish-American actress and singer
- Ella Halman, English opera singer and actress
- Ella Kenion, English comedy actress, known for her versatility
- Ella D'Arcy, short fiction writer
- Ella Leffland, American novelist and short story writer
- Ella Macknight, obstetrician and gynaecologist
- Ella Winter, Australian-British journalist and activist
- Ella Shohat, American cultural-studies academic
- Ella Fitzgerald, American jazz singer sometimes referred to as the First Lady of Song
- Ella Mae Morse, American popular singer
- Ella Grasso, American politician and member of the Democratic Party
- Ella Baker, African-American civil rights and human rights activist
- Ella A. Boole, American temperance leader and social reformer
- Ella Tripp, English badminton player
- Ella Jenkins, American folk singer and actress
- Ella Raines, American film and television actress
- Ella Cara Deloria, educator, anthropologist, ethnographer, linguist
- Ella ja Aleksi, Finnish rap duo consisting of two four-year-old children
- Ella Guru, American painter and musician living in Hastings
- Ella Diehl, badminton player from Russia
- Ella Scott Lynch, Australian actress
- Ella Hooper, Australian rock music singer-songwriter
- Ella Guevara, Filipina child actress
- Ella Koon, Hong Kong Cantopop singer and actress
- Ella Young, Irish poet and Celtic mythologist active
- Ella Joyce, American actress
- Ella Cora Hind, was Western Canada's first female journalist and a women's rights activist
- Ella Bully-Cummings, chief of police of the City of Detroit
- Ella Mitchell, African-American soul singer and actress
- Ella Kovacs, retired Romanian middle-distance runner of Hungarian descent
- Ella Knowles Haskell, American lawyer, suffragist, and politician
- Ella Chen, Taiwanese singer, actress, and television host
- Ella O'Neill, mother of playwright Eugene O'Neill and wife of actor James O'Neill
- Ella May Saison, Filipino singer
- Ella Waldek, American professional wrestler
- Ella, Malaysian musician, singer, actress
- Ella Bergmann-Michel, German abstract artist
- Ella baila sola, Spanish musical duet formed by Marta Botía Alonso and Marilia Andrés Casares
- Ella Vogelaar, was minister of Integration and Housing
- Ella Cruz, Filipino actress, product endorser, host
Lists having Ella
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Gothic Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that starts with Ell
- Girl names that ends with -lla
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Western Australia (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Norway (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Foreign
- Baby Names that mean Beautiful
- Baby Names that mean Fairy
- Baby Names that mean Woman
- Baby Names that mean Little
- Baby Names that mean Ash
- Baby Names that mean girl
- Baby Names that mean Heroine
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Torch
- Baby Names that mean Bright
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Perfect
- Baby Names that mean Brilliant
- Baby Names that mean Shining
- Baby Names that mean Complete