Eileen name meaning
On This Page
What does Eileen mean?
Outstanding and Perennial unisex name Eileen is used particulary in Gaelic, English, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Irish and Norwegian, meaning of Eileen is "Aveline, Eveline or Lovable" is of Old French, Irish, Old Greek and Greek origin.
Eileen is a form of renowned and evergreen Helen. Helen is English form of Helene. Meaning of Helen is A Lady Attending on Imogen, Bright One Shining One and Shining Light is rooted from Old Greek and English.
Also Eileen is English form of Eibhlin.
How do I pronounce Eileen?
The most common pronunciation of one syllabled Eileen is EYE-leen. There should be emphasis on first EYE syllable while speaking. e(i)-leen is the different way(s) to pronounce the name.
Variants of Eileen
How popular is the name Eileen?
Eileen is a popular in United States where over 186875 new-borns have been given the name since 1882. Presently the moniker is on a rise, in 1943, it ranked 68th when 4250 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 100 baby names 20 times A common name in Ireland having over 5271 recievers in 56 years of usage. Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 1964, it ranked 17th when 367 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
Eileen is a familiar baby name in France, it has been in use since 1923 and was able to reach the top 700 names. In 2007, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 611 on girl names chart when 85 babies were named Eileen.
Over 1439 babies in France have been named Eileen. The first name is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 1000 names.
In 1996, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 916 on girl names chart when 28 babies were named Eileen. There are over 442 babies that have been given the name Eileen in England and Wales.
Also, in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 2012, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 225 on girl names chart when 32 babies were named Eileen.
Over 369 babies in Switzerland have been named Eileen.
Eileen is an uncommon baby name in Belgium where it has been in use since 1995 and achieved its top ranking of 680 in 1996.
However things change on global perspective, Eileen is extremely popular in England where every 1 in 600 have the name. Also the baby name is popular in Canada, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Philippines, South Africa and Wales.
At least, 470000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our research.
Eileen in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numbers say about Eileen?
When it comes to career, you don't play on the safe side but take risks in order to achieve even greater success. You test your limits not to amaze others and prove you are courageous but to satisfy the adrenaline hunger inside your heart. Besides being hard-working by nature, you are also independent and like to handle things your way. You believe that change affects your life positively, so you are all about changes.
Do you like Eileen? Other names you would love
- Nicolas - Origin of Darling and Perpetual Nicolas is in Old Greek is a gender insensitive name, meaning of Nicolas is "Victory or People or Conquerer of the People" is used specifically in Norwegian and Swedish
- Asmus - Boy name Asmus has origin in Old Greek, mainly used in Swedish and Norwegian languages, Asmus means "Erasmios or Gracious"
- Pelagios - Used substantially in Greek, Pelagios is used as a boy name, Pelagios means "Of the Sea" has origin in Old Greek
- Palmire - The boy name Palmire means ""City of Palms" Celebrates August 5Th" is of Old English and Greek origin
- Agathi is originated from Old Greek, Agathi means "An Orphan, One Step Ahead of All or Deserted One", substantially used in Greek, Telugu and Tamil is used as a gender-neutral name
Middle names for Eileen
Just in case, you don't know what to pair with Eileen, we've got you covered with these popular and appealing middle names.
View more middle names that goes with Eileen.
Sibling Names for Eileen
If you have chosen the name "Eileen" for your baby girl, now comes the fun part of picking out the perfect sibling names to complement her. Here are some suggestions ranging from classic to trendy, that can be paired with "Eileen" as a first or middle name.
Sister to Eileen
Brother to Eileen
Famous people named Eileen
- Eileen Farrell, American soprano
- Eileen Ivers, American fiddler
- Eileen Burmeister, née Burmeister played eight defensive positions for the Rockford Peaches
- Eileen Wilson-Oyelaran, 17th President of Kalamazoo College
- Eileen Lemass, Irish former Fianna Fáil politician
- Eileen Gunn, science fiction author and editor based
- Eileen Saxon, patient in an operation that ushered
- Eileen Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, Duchess of Sutherland, British courtier
- Eileen Nearne, member of the UK's Special Operations Executive during World War II
- Eileen Soper, etcher and illustrator of children's and wildlife books
- Eileen Sheridan, former British beauty pageant contestant
- Eileen Paisley, Baroness Paisley of St George's, Northern Irish Unionist politician, a vice-president of the Democratic Unionist Party
- Eileen Joyce, Australian pianist whose career spanned more than 30 years
- Eileen Colwell, pioneer children’s librarian
- Eileen Naseby, Australian author of 'Ursula
- Eileen Hiscock, English track and field athlete
- Eileen Mayo, English-born artist and designer
- Eileen Sheridan, retired English cyclist
- Eileen Malloy, served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Canadian affairs
- Eileen M. Crimmins, AARP Chair
- Eileen Folson, Broadway composer
- Eileen Younghusband,
- Eileen Walwyn,
- Eileen Shanahan, Irish poet
- Eileen Egan, journalist, Roman Catholic activist
- Eileen Pollack, American novelist, essayist
- Eileen Ascroft, journalist and writer
- Eileen Pollock,
- Eileen Strempel, operatic soprano and academic from Syracuse
- Eileen Kernaghan, Canadian novelist and three-time winner of the Prix Aurora Award for English-language Canadian speculative fiction
- Eileen Collins, retired NASA astronaut and a retired United States Air Force colonel
- Eileen Heckart, American actress of film, stage, and television
- Eileen Chang,
- Eileen Barker, professor
- Eileen Blair, first wife of George Orwell
- Eileen Gordon, politician in the United Kingdom
- Eileen Desmond, Irish Labour Party politician
- Eileen Gray, Irish-born French-based architect and furniture designer and a pioneer of the Modern Movement
- Eileen Davidson, American actress, reality star
- Eileen Anderson, American politician
- Eileen Fulton, American actress
- Eileen Southern, African-American musicologist, researcher, author
- Eileen Derbyshire, English actress
- Eileen Atkins, English actress and occasional screenwriter
- Eileen Brennan, American film, stage, and television actress
- Eileen Herlie, Scottish-American actress
- Eileen Myles, American poet and writer
- Eileen Bell, politician from Dromara, Northern Ireland
- Eileen Essell, English actress
- Eileen Pollock, Northern Irish actress
- Eileen Rockefeller Growald, American philanthropist
Lists having Eileen
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Irish Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Gaelic Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -leen
- Popular Girl Names in United States (1952)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1989)
- Baby Names that mean Aveline
- Baby Names that mean Burst
- Baby Names that mean Sun
- Baby Names that mean Beautiful
- Baby Names that mean Radiant
- Baby Names that mean Shining
- Baby Names that mean Hazelnut
- Baby Names that mean Lovable