Selene meaning and origin
Selene's meaning is From Selina, Lunar Glow, Goddess of the Moon, Light or Heaven is of Old Greek origin which is dominantly used in Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, German, Danish and English is used as a gender-neutral name . Selene is a variation of loved and ever lasting Selina. Selina is variation of everlasting and well-liked Celina. Selina is English cognate of Celina. Originated from Latin and Old Greek, Famous Selina, Selina means "Star in the Sky, Light and Goddess of the Moon". Selene is Nordic cognate of The Greek Name Σελήνη.
Variants of Selene
Helene, Selina, Helen, Celina, Caleen, Celine, Selen, Eilen, Leni, Leny, Eileen, Elle, Leona, Ilene, Helenmarie, Calina, Celena, Caelius, Celeste, Caelia, Asselina, Marcelina, Celestina, Celyne, Marcellina, Sellen
View middle names that goes with Selene like Cecelia, Raegan, Maura, Earlene, Candace, Alesha,Names that rhyme with Selene
Popularity of Selene
Selene is common in United States where over 6936 new-borns have been given the name since 1919. Recently peaked at the charts, the moniker grabbed the 829th spot and 325 baby girls were given the name. Also, In France, Selene was once a common name since emerging in 1987 it has been given to over 1313 babies. At the peak of its usage in 2009,. However after 31 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Selene is an uncommon baby name in England and Wales, its highest ever rank is 1788 (2018) in its 19 years run on England and Wales naming chart. Over 116 babies in England and Wales have been named Selene. In Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 but could not make beyond the top 700. But Selene is a popular baby name in Mexico where every 1 in 4000 have the name. At least, 50000 people globally have carried Selene as their given name according to our findings.
Selene in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Selene
You practically became the Superman you once admired. You always put other people's needs and wishes before yours. But you just won't admit it. You learn from your mistakes faster than others. Your cornerstone represents your ability to adapt to every change. People with a high IQ are prone to depression, self-doubt, and low self-esteem and so are you. Unbelievable but true. Don't feel guilty if suddenly you find your opinion of something or feelings for someone changed. You were born to change.
Parents who liked Selene, loved these names
- Metrodora - Girl name Metrodora means "Gift of the City" has its origin in Old Greek language
- Aili prevalently is used in Danish, English and Finnish is a baby girl name is rooted from Old French and Old Greek. Aili is equivalent of Áile in Finnish language
- Santeri - Boy name Santeri is used principally in Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian, Santeri means "Defender of Men, He Who Wards Off (Other) Men or Defender of Men" has its origin in Old Greek
- Anastassios - The boy name Anastassios means "Resurrection" especially used in Greek is of Old Greek origin
- Stevin - Stevin's meaning is Crowning is a baby boy name is of Greek and Old Greek origin
Namesakes of Selene
We could not find any notable namesake.
Lists having Selene
- Boys names beginning with S
- Girls names beginning with S
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Girl names that ends with -lene
- Baby Names that mean Glow
- Baby Names that mean Goddess
- Baby Names that mean Moon
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Heaven