Jean name meaning
On This Page
What does Jean mean?
The famous and all time favorite unisex name Jean means "God is Merciful, John, Scottish Form of Joan Gracious Gift from God or Yahweh is Gracious", mostly used in Arabic, English, Norwegian, Danish, French, Finnish and Swedish came from Hebrew.
Jean is version of biblical, predominant and immutable John. John is short version of Johannes. John is equivalent of Johannes in English and German languages. John's meaning is Yahweh is Gracious and Yahweh is Gracious Yahweh is Merciful came from Hebrew.
Also Jean is equivalent of Jeanne in English and Scottish languages. The name is celebrated on December 27th.
What's Jean like for a baby name?
Jean is a charming and timeless name that exudes elegance and sophistication. With French origins, the name is derived from the phrase "God is gracious," making it one of the most beautiful and meaningful names in existence.
Jean is a popular choice for parents who want to honor their faith or cultural heritage while giving their child a name that stands out. It's also a versatile name that can easily be paired with different middle names or surnames to create unique combinations.
Overall, Jean has a classic yet modern appeal, making it an excellent choice for any baby boy or girl.
How do I pronounce Jean?
The one syllabled name Jean is pronounced, jean. It can also be pronounced as zhan, / or jeen.
Variants of Jean
Jehanne, Ieuan, Johanan, Gean, John, Gian, Johannes, Dejohn, Gianni, Jackie, Yanis, Aaronjohn, John Paul, Ioan, Ióan, Ionel, Johnna, Jennine, Donajean, Jean-Claude, Donalda, Donna, Jeanne, Hanko, Janek, Janica, Johansinnguaq, Johanna, Jane, Jeanine, Evane, Ivane, Janette, Janina, Joannie, Jeannemarie
How popular is the name Jean?
Jean was an extremely popular name in United States. Over 481871 babies have been named Jean since 1880. At the peak of its usage in 1926, 12510 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 12nd position.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 278 years. Additionally, the first name has been in the top 50 baby names 38 times Also, an extremely popular name in France having over 1916846 recievers in 147 years of usage.
When at its peak in 1900, 53706 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 1st position. Additionally, the name has been in the top 5 baby names a whooping 62 times
Jean used to be a common name in Ireland, first appeared in 1965 and over 1294 babies have been given the name in 26 years.
At the peak of its usage in 1965,. After 26 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Jean is a familiar baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
In 2013, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 164 on boy names chart when 75 babies were given the name Jean. There are over 1310 babies that have been given the name Jean in Belgium.
Also, during its short run of just 1 years in New South Wales, it had made it to the top 100 names. In 1952, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 100 on girl names chart when 65 babies were given the name Jean.
Jean is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 1000 names. In 2003, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 912 on boy names chart when 28 babies were named Jean.
There are over 613 babies that have been given the name Jean in England and Wales. Also, in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 300 names.
In 1999, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 242 on boy names chart when 33 babies were named Jean. There are over 410 babies that have been given the name Jean in Switzerland.
Jean is a rare baby name in New South Wales and may not be used now as it was last seen in 1952. However things change on global perspective, Jean is extremely popular in DR Congo where every 1 in 30 have the name as well as in, Madagascar, Haiti, Burundi, Rwanda, Cameroon, England, Central African Republic, Congo, Brazil, Canada and Philippines.
Also the baby name is popular in Chad, Ivory Coast, Venezuela, Guinea, Benin, Burkina Faso, Afghanistan, Gabon, Ethiopia, Scotland, Togo, Mauritius, South Africa, Senegal, Mali, Dominican Republic, Malawi, Mozambique, Peru, Wales, Morocco, Ghana, Zambia, Angola, Luxembourg, Australia, Chile, Ecuador, New Zealand, Sudan, Egypt, Northern Ireland, Equatorial Guinea, Colombia, Costa Rica and South Sudan.
At least, 10830000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our findings.
Numerological analysis of Jean
You love to help the people you care for. Partnerships are exclusively important to you. You made everyone proud in your life, even if no one acknowledges your efforts and hard work to be the best person you can possibly be. You are unique and born to stand out. In fact, you are known as the original weirdo who creates cool stuff. Fighting you own battles like a lone wolf makes you feel strong and confident.
Go through the following names similar to Jean
- Sally - The famous and ever lasting unisex name Sally means "Princess or Noble Lady". It is rooted from Anglo-Saxon and Hebrew is particulary used in French and English. Among girl names, popular Sally was spotted at 495th position in 1992 in United States
- Marlene - Renowned Marlene has its origin in German and Germanic languages bestowed upon both genders, Marlene means "Maria, Contraction of Maria or Magdalene or From the High Tower" is principally used in Norwegian, English and Danish
- Margaret - Eminent and Evergreen unisex name Margaret is used predominantly in English, Swedish and Danish which originated from Old Greek, meaning of Margaret is "Pearl, Name of a Saint or Jewel"
- Ellen - Origin of Timeless and Darling Ellen is in Old Provençal and Old Greek, meaning of Ellen is "The Word Helios Meaning Sun or Moon Elope", a gender-neutral name is majorly used in Swedish and Finnish
- Bryson - Meaning of Bryson is Son of Bryce, Variant of Bryce or Son of the Strong One is used substantially in English and Irish used for both boys and girls is of English and Welsh origin
Famous people named Jean
- Jean Sibelius, Finnish composer and violinist of the late Romantic and early-modern periods
- Jean Moulin, high-profile member of the Resistance
- Jean Chrétien, Canadian politician
- Jean de Joinville, was one of the great chroniclers of medieval France
- Jean Daurat, French poet
- Jean Desmarets, French writer and dramatist
- Jean Barraqué, French composer and writer on music
- Jean Crotti, French painter
- Jean Rey, French physician and chemist
- Jean Rey, Belgian Liberal politician
- Jean Philibert Damiron, French philosopher
- Jean Moréas, Greek poet, essayist, and art critic
- Jean Henri Georges Laguerre, French lawyer and politician
- Jean Baptiste Massillon, Jean-Baptiste Massillon, Cong
- Jean Schwartz, Hungarian-born American songwriter
- Jean Alexandre Barré, French neurologist
- Jean Fernel, French physician
- Jean François Boissonade de Fontarabie, French classical scholar
- Jean O'Hara, famed prostitute
- Jean Bourgknecht, Swiss politician
- Jean de Brébeuf, French Jesuit missionary
- Jean Antoine Zinnen, Luxembourgian composer, best
- Jean François Paul de Gondi, French churchman, writer of memoirs
- Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, French lawyer and politician
- Jean Bertaut, French poet, was born at Caen
- Jean Yanne, French actor, writer, film director and composer
- Jean Salmon Macrin, Neo-Latin poet of French nationality
- Jean Daninos, Greek-French constructor of luxury cars Facel Vega
- Jean Baptiste Gustave Planche, French art and literary critic
- Jean Joseph Mounier, French politician and judge
- Jean Bosco Mwenda, pioneer of Congolese fingerstyle acoustic guitar music
- Jean Jacques Régis de Cambacérès, French nobleman
- Jean Henri Riesener, French royal 'ébéniste', working in Paris
- Jean de Charpentier, German-Swiss geologist who studied Swiss glaciers
- Jean le Rond d'Alembert, French mathematician, mechanician, physicist
- Jean Claude Eugène Péclet, French physicist
- Jean Berko Gleason, upright=1
- Jean Piaget, Swiss psychologist
- Jean Balue, French cardinal and minister of Louis XI
- Jean du Bellay, French diplomat and cardinal
- Jean Stas, Belgian analytical chemist that co-discovered the weight of carbon
- Jean Buridan, influential 14th century French philosopher
- Jean Léonard Marie Poiseuille, French physicist and physiologist
- Jean Baptiste Joseph Delambre, French mathematician and astronomer
- Jean Pierre Flourens, French physiologist
- Jean Baudrillard, French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist
- Jean Senebier, Genevan Calvinist pastor and naturalist
- Jean Leray, French mathematician
- Jean Bodin, French jurist and political philosopher
- Jean Victoire Audouin, French naturalist, an entomologist, herpetologist
- Jean Cocteau, French poet, writer, designer, playwright
- Jean Joseph Marie Amiot, French Jesuit missionary in Qing China
- Jean Richard, French actor, comedian, and circus entrepreneur
- Jean Reno, French actor of Spanish descent
- Jean Baptiste Point du Sable, is regarded as the first permanent non-Indigenous settler of what later became Chicago
- Jean Racine, French dramatist
- Jean Lafitte, French pirate and privateer in the Gulf of Mexico
- Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin, French magician
- Jean de La Fontaine, French fabulist and one of the most widely read French poets of the 17th century
- Jean Anouilh, French dramatist whose career spanned five decades
- Jean Hersholt, Danish-American actor
- Jean Giraudoux, French novelist, essayist, diplomat and playwright
- Jean Seberg, American actress who lived half her life in France
- Jean Rhys, mid-20th-century novelist
- Jean Renoir, French film director, screenwriter, actor
- Jean Sylvain Bailly, French astronomer, mathematician, freemason
Lists having Jean
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with J
- Girls names beginning with J
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Boy names that ends with -ean
- Popular Girl Names in United States (1964)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1985)
- Popular Boy Names in France (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (1952)
- Popular Girl Names in Western Australia (1933)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Merciful
- Baby Names that mean Gracious
- Baby Names that mean Gift
- Baby Names that mean Yahweh