Moira name meaning
What does Moira mean?
Widely Accepted girl name Moira means "Sea of Bitterness, The Great, Doom, Destiny, Fate, Beloved, Star of the Sea or Variant of the Irish Maire from Mary Bitter" and is used in Swedish, English, Greek, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish and Irish is of Hebrew, Celtic and Greek origin. Also Moira is English and Irish form of Mary. Also Moira is English cognate of Maureen. Also Moira is Irish and English cognate of Máire. Also Moira is Latin cognate of Greek Μοιρα = Fate, Detiny.
How do I pronounce Moira?
You can pronounce the one syllabled name Moira as MOY-rah with emphasis on first MOY syllable. There are multiple ways to say the baby name, i.e., mo(i)-ra.
Variants of Moira
Maria, Mariam, Mariamne, Mirjam, Maura, Mary, Maureen, Moreen, Morena, Máire, Maarja, Maraike, Mara, Angelamaria, Maite, Maaria, Marielle, Mai, Marea, Adamary, Marigrace, Máirín, Mairin, MairiNames that rhyme with Moira
How popular is the name Moira?
Moira is a common name in United States given to over 7184 babies in 100 years. At present the name is rising, in 1965, 144 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 832nd position. Moira is a unique baby name in France, it has been in use since 1961 and was able to reach the top 2000 names. In 2007, it ranked 1024th when 41 girls were named Moira. Over 483 people have been named Moira in France.
Moira is an uncommon baby name in England and Wales, its highest ever rank is 2738 (1997) in its 16 years run on England and Wales naming chart. Also, it is among the top 300 girl names in Ireland. There are over 387 babies that have been given the name Moira in Ireland. In Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 but could not make beyond the top 300. Over 310 babies in Switzerland have been named Moira. Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and achieved its top most rank of 759 in 2005.
But Moira is a popular baby name in England where every 1 in 4000 have the name as well as in, Scotland and South Africa. According to our estimate, over 60000 babies have been named Moira globally.
Moira in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Numerological aspects of Moira
Letter A at the end of your name foreshadows your high ambition to become someone in life. You are an exceptional person, a good listener for your friends and family, but shy as a lover. You have a curious mind and wish to explore the world. If you walk over people to get on top, you won't make it. Or you will but you won't feel good about yourself. You don't care about connects much because you believe that you don't need many people in order to be happy and content with life.
You would love these names similar to Moira
- Aisling - Used commonly in English and Danish darling, Aisling aimed at baby girls, Aisling means "Vision, Dream or Dream, Vision" is originated from Irish and Celtic
- Audran means High or Royal came from Celtic
- Kasen - Illustrous Kasen commonly is used in English is of Celtic origin, meaning of Kasen is "Kay or Jayson" is bestowed upon both sexes
- Yvonnic means Yew or Shrub is originated from Celtic
- Kendrick - Kendrick's meaning is Son of Henry or Fearless Leader used for both genders that originated from Celtic is used mainly in Swedish and Finnish
Famous people named Moira
- Moira O'Neill, a popular Irish-Canadian poet
- Moira Buffini, English dramatist, director, and actor
- Moira Crone, American fiction author
- Moira J. Moore, Canadian fantasy author
- Moira Stuart, by the TV and Radio Industries Club Awards
- Moira Quirk, English actress, active in voice over roles
- Moira Kelly, American actress
- Moira Leiper Ducharme, first female mayor of Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Moira Harris, American actress
- Moira Shearer, internationally renowned British ballet dancer and actress
- Moira Lister, South African-born, English film
- Moira Anderson, Scottish singer
- Moira Senior, field hockey striker from New Zealand
- Moira Brooker, English actress
- Moira McLean, Australian television presenter
- Moira Redmond, English actress
- Moira Cameron, Yeoman Warder of the Tower of London, England
- Moira McMahon in Love and Lies as Miscellaneous Crew
- Moira Kaye in A Taste of Honey as Actress
- Moira Armstrong in A Village Affair as Director
- Moira Orfei in Profumo di donna as Actress
- Moira Dennis in The Oatmeal Man as Actress
- Moira Kirland in An Innocent Man as Producer
- Moira Squier in Ocean's Thirteen as Actress
- Moira Driscoll in The Orphan Trains as Actress
- Actor Moira Brennan, renowned for movie Straight to the Heart
- In 1931 comedy movie, The Perfect Lady, Moira Lynd portrayed Anne Burnett.
- Moira Reed portrayed small role of Mary Jessyl in 1937 crime film Under a Cloud.
- Moira Stone, from 2003 drama and fantasy flick Macbeth, who portrayed Lady Macbeth.
- Moira Delia portrayed small character of N in 2009 action and adventure movie Maltageddon.
Lists having Moira
- Biblical Girl Names
- Girl names beginning with M
- American Girl Names
- Celtic Girl Names
- English Girl Names
- Greek Girl Names
- Hebrew Girl Names
- Danish Girl Names
- Finnish Girl Names
- Irish Girl Names
- Norwegian Girl Names
- Swedish Girl Names
- Girl names that ends with -ira
- Baby Names that mean Sea
- Baby Names that mean Bitterness
- Baby Names that mean Great
- Baby Names that mean Destiny
- Baby Names that mean Fate
- Baby Names that mean Beloved
- Baby Names that mean Star
- Baby Names that mean Mary
- Baby Names that mean Bitter