George name meaning
On This Page
What does George mean?
Meaning of George is Farmer or A Tiller of the Soil has origin in Old Greek, predominantly used in Arabic, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Icelandic, Danish and English is given to both boys and girls.
George is English equivalent of Georgius. It is celebrated on April 23rd.
How do I pronounce George?
The most common way to pronounce two syllabled George is jor-j.
Variants of George
Nicknames for George
Plenty of nicknames available for baby name George include:
How popular is the name George?
George was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 1477143 babies have been given the first name. At the peak of its usage in 1881, the moniker grabbed the 4th spot and 27476 baby boys were given the name.
However after 272 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 32 times Also, a very popular name in England and Wales with over 98021 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
At present the name is rising, in 2018, 5263 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 2nd position. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 5 baby names 4 times
George is a common name in Ireland given to over 3292 babies in 56 years.
Recently the moniker is on a rise, in 1964, it ranked 52nd when 115 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, A common name in New South Wales with over 11253 new-borns have been given the name since 1952.
At the peak of its usage in 2017, 250 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 29th position. Also, George is a common name in Queensland given to over 1975 babies in 24 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2016, the moniker grabbed the 32nd spot and 172 baby boys were given the name. Also, George is common in Victoria where over 1467 new-borns have been given the name since 2008.
At its zenith in 2015, it ranked 38th when 173 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
George is a familiar baby name in France, it has been in use since 1900 and was able to reach the top 300 names.
In 1915, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 260 on boy names chart when 65 babies were given the name George. Over 2216 people have been named George in France.
Also, in Belgium, the name has been in use since 1995 and has secured the place in top 300 names. Recently in 2018, 56 babies were given George and it reached its peak ranking, 207 on boy names chart.
Over 328 babies in Belgium have been named George. Also, in Western Australia, in just 5 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. In 1931, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 9 on boy names chart when 95 babies were given the name George.
Over 420 people have been named George in Western Australia.
George is a unique baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 400 names.
Recently in 2019, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 333 on boy names chart when 48 babies were named George. Over 206 people have been named George in Netherlands. George is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, even after 21 years of use, it could not make it big.
Over 200 babies in Switzerland have been named George.
However things change on global perspective, George is extremely popular in Uganda where every 1 in 200 have the name as well as in, England, Romania, Ghana, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Canada and India.
Also the baby name is popular in Philippines, South Africa, Nigeria, Zambia, Malawi, Lebanon, Brazil, DR Congo, Scotland, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Liberia, Australia, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Jamaica, Greece, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Mozambique, Malaysia, Syria, Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Wales, South Sudan, Indonesia, Ecuador, Angola, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Namibia, Dominican Republic and Qatar.
According to our findings, over 3970000 babies have been named George globally.
Numerological analysis of George
You possess great communication skills. You are a perfectionist when it comes to relationships too. You lack responsibility and commitment. You are co-operative, caring and courteous individual. You are trustworthy and know how to keep a secret for your friends. You will learn that nothing matters more than love and dreams in life. If letter E is your capstone, it reveals your dominant character.
Go through the following names similar to George
- Udaysah means Daughter of Ahban Al-ghifariyah or A Narrator of Hadith is used mainly in Arabic and Sindhi is in general given to girls
- Iman - Far-out Iman primarily is used in Kannada and Sindhi, meaning of Iman is "Faith or Who has Faith" is a gender-neutral name is originated from Arabic and Persian
- Adel - Meaning of Adel is Upright or Equitable used for both sexes and originated from Arabic and Germanic is chiefly used in Kannada and Marathi
- Samiya - Loved Samiya is used specifically in Telugu and Bengali is a girl name and came from Arabic, Samiya means "Lofty or Elevated"
- Halwani - Boy name Halwani is used mainly in Sindhi and Arabic, meaning of Halwani is "Student of Hadith or Confectioner"
Sibling Names for George
George is a classic name that has been popular for centuries. If you're looking for a name that pairs well with George or if you want to create a family theme with your children's names, consider these options for baby boy and girl siblings of George.
For a sister
Brother for George
Famous people named George
- George Abbot, English divine
- George H. W. Bush, American politician
- George William, Elector of Brandenburg, of the Hohenzollern dynasty
- George Abbot, English lay writer, known as "The Puritan"
- George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, British statesman, diplomat and landowner, successively a Tory
- George Robert Aberigh-Mackay, son of the Reverend James Aberigh-Mackay D.D.
- George Frederick, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, was Margrave of Ansbach and Bayreuth
- George Shipway, British author best
- George Streeter, American
- George Barbier,
- George Buck, English antiquarian, historian, scholar and author
- George E. Clymer, American engineer and inventor
- George Cavendish, English writer
- George Pachymeres, a Byzantine Greek historian
- George Akropolites, Byzantine Greek historian and statesman born at Constantinople
- George Linnaeus Banks, British journalist, editor, poet, playwright
- George Bannatyne, Edinburgh merchant and burgess
- George of Trebizond, Greek philosopher, scholar and humanist
- George Anthan, Washington Bureau Chief for the Des Moines Register
- George Crumb, George Henry Jr
- George Swede, Canadian psychologist, poet and children's writer
- George Girard, New Orleans jazz trumpeter
- George Grenville, British Whig statesman
- George Bickham the Younger, English etcher and engraver, a printseller
- George Vertue, English engraver and antiquary
- George A. Rothrock, professor of European history at the University of Alberta
- George Canning, British Tory statesman
- George Pierce Baker, American educator in the field of drama
- George Willis Ritchey, American optician and telescope maker and astronomer born at Tuppers Plains
- George O. Abell, taught at UCLA
- George Garrett, British clergyman and inventor
- George Colman the Elder, ", to distinguish him from his son
- George Berkeley, Irish philosopher whose primary achievement was the advancement of a theory he called "immaterialism"
- George Pappas, professor of philosophy at Ohio State University
- George Pólya, Hungarian mathematician
- George Dantzig, American mathematical scientist
- George Fox, founder of the Religious Society of Friends
- George Boole, largely self-taught English mathematician
- George Lakoff, American cognitive linguist and philosopher
- George Westinghouse, George Westinghouse Jr
- George Everest, British surveyor and geographer
- George Gamow, Soviet-American theoretical physicist and cosmologist
- George Cayley, English engineer, inventor, and aviator
- George Gurdjieff, mystic, philosopher, spiritual teacher
- George Ritzer, American sociologist, professor, and author
- George Santayana, philosopher, essayist, poet, and novelist
- George Biddell Airy, English mathematician and astronomer
- George Peacock, English mathematician
- George Granville Bradley, English divine, scholar, and schoolteacher
- George Cotton, English educator and clergyman
- George Lucas, George Walton Lucas Jr
- George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, journalist and critic, whose work is marked by lucid prose
- George Washington, political leader, general, statesman
- George Whipple, American physician, pathologist
- George R. R. Martin, American novelist and short story writer
- George Peppard, George Peppard Jr
- George Stephenson, English civil engineer and mechanical engineer
- George Harrison, ; others dispute that
- George Cukor, American film director
- George Frideric Handel, Handel received important training in Halle-upon-Saale and worked as a composer in Hamburg and Italy before settling in London in 1712; he became a naturalised British subject
- George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright, critic
- George Vancouver, British officer of the Royal Navy, best
- George Gordon, 1st Earl of Aberdeen, Lord Chancellor of Scotland
- George Benson, American guitarist, singer, and songwriter
- George Washington Carver, American botanist and inventor
- George S. Kaufman, American playwright, theatre director and producer
- George Eliot, English novelist, poet, journalist, translator
- George Gershwin, American composer and pianist whose compositions spanned both popular and classical genres
Lists having George
- Boys names beginning with G
- Girls names beginning with G
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Popular Boy Names in United States (1992)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Western Australia (1934)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Farmer
- Baby Names that mean Soil
- Baby Names that mean Earth
- Baby Names that mean Worker
- Baby Names that mean Earthworker