Abigail name meaning
On This Page
What does Abigail mean?
Used particulary in English, German, Danish, Sindhi, Norwegian, Kannada, Hindi, Finnish, Swedish and Hebrew long standing and popular, Abigail is of Hebrew origin, Abigail means "Head of a Monastery, The Intelligent, Gives Joy, Father in Rejoicing, Joy of My Father, God is My Joy or My Father Rejoices Joy of My Father" is aimed at both boys and girls.
Abigail is English and German cognate of Abigael. Abigail is celebrated on December 29th.
How do I pronounce Abigail?
The most common way to pronounce three syllabled Abigail is ah-bih-gail. a-bi-gail is another way(s) to say the name.
Variants of Abigail
Nicknames for Abigail
Here is the list of Probable nicknames for the given name Abigail:Names that rhyme with Abigail
How popular is the name Abigail?
an extremely popular name in United States having over 366714 recievers in 179 years of usage. Currently the moniker is on a rise, in 2005, 15920 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 4th position.
In addition to that, the name has been in the top 5 baby names 1 times Also, Abigail was a popular name in England and Wales. Over 42847 babies have been named Abigail since 1996.
When at the peak of its usage in 2000, 2643 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 19th position. However after 23 years, the name is on free fall on the charts but still performing better than most of the names.
Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 19 times
Abigail used to be a common name in Ireland, first appeared in 1969 and over 2814 babies have been given the name in 48 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2008,. However after 48 years, the name is on free fall on the charts. Also, Abigail was a common name in France. Over 1746 babies have been named Abigail since 1971.
When at the peak of its usage in 2009,. After 44 years, the name has past its prime. Also, Abigail was a common name in New South Wales. Over 3044 babies have been named Abigail since 2002.
At its zenith in 2010,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 18 years but it is still going strong. Also, A common name in Queensland with over 2270 new-borns have been given the name since 2000.
At present the name is rising, in 2014, it ranked 22nd when 175 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. Also, A common name in Victoria having over 1452 recievers in 11 years of usage.
At its zenith in 2013, 150 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 27th position. Moreover, the moniker has been to the top 50 baby names 11 times
Abigail is a familiar baby name in Netherlands, during its short term of usage, the name has been to the top 300 names.
Recently in 2016, 58 babies were given Abigail and it reached its peak ranking, 235 on girl names chart. There are over 223 babies that have been given the name Abigail in Netherlands.
Also, in Western Australia, in just 1 years, it has made it to the top 100 names. Recently in 2019, 72 babies were given Abigail and it reached its peak ranking, 26 on girl names chart.
Abigail is a unique baby name in Belgium, it has been in use since 1997 and was able to reach the top 400 names. Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 326 on girl names chart when 31 babies were named Abigail.
Over 285 babies in Belgium have been named Abigail. The first name is an uncommon baby name in Switzerland, even after 21 years of use, it could not make it big.
Over 230 people have been named Abigail in Switzerland.
Abigail is a rare baby name in Northern Territory however it is still in use. And also in Western Australia. However things change on global perspective, Abigail is extremely popular in Nigeria where every 1 in 1000 have the name as well as in Ghana.
Also the baby name is popular in Mexico, Philippines, England, Brazil, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Colombia, Malawi, Israel, Kenya and Zambia. As per our research, over 630000 babies have been bestowed Abigail around the globe.
Abigail in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Abigail
People envy your success and personal life, and would give just anything to be like you. You are probably the most creative person you know in your surroundings. Instead of running over people on your way to success, you teach them how to find their own path and how to succeed. You think a lot and it makes you sick sometimes. Travelling is your passion. You can easily get turned off by a person's reckless behavior or bad habits.
Other names liked by would be moms that are similar to Abigail
- Alexandria - Famed Old Greek Alexandria is primarily used in English and Greek, Alexandria means "Form of Alexander or Helper or Defender of Mankind" is a unisex name . Commonly Accepted Alexandria ranked at 282 position in 2018 on list of baby girl names in United States
- Etta means Pearl, From Henriette or The French Feminine Form of Henry used for both boys and girls which is used in Scottish and Danish is originated from Germanic
- Benjamin - Loved and Conifer gender-neutral name Benjamin is used mostly in Faroese and English has its origin in Hebrew, meaning of Benjamin is "Son of the Right or Son of the One who Loves Horses"
- Patsy - Well-Liked and Ever lasting unisex name Patsy means "Noblewoman or Nobleman", used prevalently in Finnish, Danish and Norwegian is originated from Latin
- Lewis - Used especially in Finnish, Swedish and English long standing and widespread, Lewis is originated from Celtic and Old High German, Lewis means "Renowned Warrior or Fame or War" is used for both sexes
Middle names for Abigail
These are the popular and familiar middle names that we love for the name Abigail.
View more middle names that goes with Abigail.
Famous people named Abigail
- Abigail Folger,
- Abigail, retired English-born Australian television and film character actress and briefly a vocalist
- Abigail Bakan, former Professor of Political Studies at Queen's University
- Abigail Lane, English artist
- Abigail Sin, award-winning Singaporean concert pianist
- Abigail Thernstrom, American political scientist and a leading conservative scholar on race relations
- Abigail Conceição de Souza, Brazilian football player
- Abigail Austen, first officer
- Abigail Becker, Canadian woman credited with saving the lives of numerous sailors caught
- Abigail Hobbs, girl of about 14 to 16 years old when she was arrested for witchcraft on April 18, 1692
- Abigail Adams, wife and closest advisor of John Adams
- Abigail Williams, was one of the initial accusers
- Abigail Fillmore, First Lady of the United States from 1850 to 1853 and the Second Lady of the United States
- Abigail May Alcott Nieriker, American artist and the youngest sister of Louisa May Alcott
- Abigail Scott Duniway, American women's rights advocate
- Abigail Johnson, and chairman of its international sister company Fidelity International
- Abigail Campbell Kawānanakoa, politician and Princess of Hawaii
- Abigail Kapiolani Kawānanakoa, member of the House of Kawānanakoa and the eldest daughter of Prince David Kawānanakoa and Princess Abigail Campbell Kawānanakoa
- Abigail, English electronic music artist
- Abigail Hopper Gibbons, American abolitionist, schoolteacher
- Abigail Masham, Baroness Masham, favourite of Queen Anne and a cousin of Sarah Churchill
- Abigail Mavity, American actress
- Abigail Washburn, American clawhammer banjo player and singer
- Abigail Spencer, American actress
- Abigail Garner, American author and advocate for children with LGBT parents
- Abigail Pietersen, South African former competitive figure skater
- Abigail Adams Smith, firstborn of Abigail and John Adams
- Abigail Cruttenden, English actress
- Abigail Breslin, American actress and singer
- Abigail Spears, professional tennis player from the United States
- Abigail Kubeka in Knock-Out as Actress
- Abigail Arundel in Child Hunt as Actress
- Abigail McConnell in Truth in Shadows as Actress
- Abigaile Johnson in My Private Tutor as Actress
- Abigail Joven in Manolis as Actress
- Abigail Hart in Episode dated 4 March 2004 as Actress
- Abigail Haley in Moments of Clarity as Actress
- Abigail Murphy in Kendra Wilkinson as Actress
- Abigail Olegski in The Diary as Actress
- Abigail Johnston Abigail "Abby" Louise Johnston is an American diver.
- Abigail Good characterized crucial character of Tabatha in 2001 comedy and crime movie Randall's Flat.
- In 2005, Abigail Stone portrayed the role of Ebrill in drama and horror film The Dark.
- Abigail Cohen, from 2013 drama flick Pensé que iba a haber fiesta, who portrayed Abi.
- In 2016 drama film, Unless, Abigail Winter characterized Natalie Winters.
- Abigail Mason, from 2007 drama movie Saving Sarah Cain, who characterized the Lyddie Cottrell.
- In horror flick, Bugs, Abigail Richie portrayed Skyler.
- Abigail Chay characterized significant role of Lillian in 2014 action and drama flick Banting.
Lists having Abigail
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with A
- Girls names beginning with A
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Sindhi Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Head
- Baby Names that mean Monastery
- Baby Names that mean Father
- Baby Names that mean Joy
- Baby Names that mean Intelligent
- Baby Names that mean Rejoicing
- Baby Names that mean Rejoices
- Baby Names that mean God