Jonah meaning and origin
Of Hebrew origin, Admired and Enduring Jonah is used in Danish, Finnish, Swedish, English, Scandinavian, Norwegian, French and Spanish, Jonah means "The Dove" is bestowed upon both genders. Jonah is Hebrew form of Jonah.
Variants of Jonah
Yonah, Giona, John, Jona, Jehanne, Ieuan, Johanan, Jonas, Johanna, Jonathan, Gionah, Dejohn, Gianni, Jackie, Yanis, Aaronjohn, John Paul, Johannes, Jon, Jonette, Jeanne, Ivan, Hanan, Johnas, Jöns, Hansi, Janathan, Jonny, Jonathandavid, Jehonathan
View middle names that goes with Jonah like Gene, Karson, Porter, Caden, Waylon, Pace,Names that rhyme with Jonah
Popularity of Jonah
a popular name in United States with over 66110 new-borns have been given the name since 1880. When at the peak of its usage in 2012, the moniker grabbed the 129th spot and 2976 baby boys were given the name. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 500 baby names 31 times A common name in England and Wales having over 4883 recievers in 23 years of usage. At present peaking at the charts, the moniker grabbed the 144th spot and 387 baby boys were given the name. Also, In France, Jonah was once a common name since emerging in 1995 it has been given to over 1353 babies. When at the peak of its usage in 2016,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 24 years. Also, Jonah used to be a common name in Netherlands, first appeared in 2015 and over 567 babies have been given the name in 7 years. At the peak of its usage in 2019,. However after 7 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts.
Jonah is a unique baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 1992 and was able to reach the top 200 names. Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 135 on boy names chart when 45 babies were named Jonah. There are over 414 babies that have been given the name Jonah in Ireland. Also, in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 300 names. In 2014, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 224 on boy names chart when 40 babies were named Jonah. Over 477 people have been named Jonah in Switzerland. Also, in Belgium, it has been in use since 1995 and was able to reach the top 500 names. In 2011, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 403 on boy names chart when 27 babies were named Jonah. Over 445 babies in Belgium have been named Jonah.
But Jonah is a popular baby name in Nigeria where every 1 in 5000 have the name as well as in, Philippines, Kenya, Madagascar and Uganda. According to our evaluation, over 100000 babies have been named Jonah globally.
Jonah in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Jonah
Spend time with other people and allow yourself to learn new things along the way. Being unconstrained will help you grow spiritually. You could be a poet because of the original way you express yourself. Work on your self-confidence and find your own purpose. Your only mistake is that you are trying to prove others you can do it, instead of proving yourself. You lack self-confidence and self-reliance.
Parents who liked Jonah, loved these names
- Gena - Preeminent and Conifer Genas origin is Celtic, Native and American bestowed upon girls, meaning of Gena is "People, Jennifer and Race and Woman". Gena is resulted from Geneva. . In 1975, lofty name Gena managed to bag 496th position among girl names in United States
- Oma - Mostly used in Marathi, Oriya and Hindi durable and acclaimed, Oma has its origin in African-Bini and is used for both genders, meaning of Oma is "Friend or The Colour of Olive"
- Marlee - Admired Marlee is originated from Germanic and Old English, Marlee means "Pleasant Wood", primarily used in Finnish and English is given to both boys and girls
- Bess - Noteworthy and Perpetual Besss origin is Hebrew is a gender-neutral name, meaning of Bess is "God is Fullness, God is My Oath or Form of Elizabeth" is used dominantly in Norwegian, English and Swedish
- Ara - Meaning of Ara is Embellishing, To Pray for or Ornament has origin in Armenian and Latin, specifically used in Finnish, Tamil and Hindi is used as a unisex name
Namesakes of Jonah
- Jonah Anguka, Kenyan author and former District Commissioner at Nakuru
- Jonah Barrington, retired Irish/English squash player, originally
- Jonah Nabon, rabbinical scholar; born at Jerusalem
- Jonah Birir, former Kenyan middle distance runner
- Jonah Frankel, German Jewish businessman
- Jonah of Moscow, Metropolitan of Kiev and All Rus'
- Jonah of Hankou, bishop of Hankou of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia
- Jonah Teomim-Frankel,
- Jonah Barrington, the radio critic of the Daily Express
- Jonah Sanford, U.S. Representative from New York
- Jonah, name given in the Hebrew Bible to a prophet of the northern kingdom of Israel
- Jonah Lomu, New Zealand rugby union player
- Jonah Goldberg, American conservative syndicated columnist, author
- Jonah Hex, western comic book antihero appearing
- Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole, prince of the Kingdom of Hawaii until it was overthrown by a coalition of American and European businessmen
- Jonah Matranga, singer, songwriter, and guitarist
- Jonah ibn Janah, Jewish rabbi
- Jonah Edward Kelley, United States Army soldier
- Jonah Bobo, American actor and voice actor
- Jonah Jenkins, American vocalist
- Jonah Meyerson, American actor
- Jonah Nickerson, former minor league pitcher
- Jonah Bayliss, former American professional baseball relief pitcher
- Jonah Hill, American actor, director, producer, screenwriter
- Jonah Jones, jazz trumpeter
- Jonah Raskin, American writer
- Jonah Wuyep, former Chief of the Air Staff of the Nigerian Air Force
- Jonah Wilcox, English professional footballer
- Jonah Lisa Dyer in Hysteria as Writer
- Jonah Hwang in Outcall as Actor
- Jonah Falcon in Big Like Me as
- Jonah Mazer in The Dog Who Saved Halloween as Actor
- Jonah Luber in Zoolander as Actor
- Jonah Wharton in Unmanned as Actor
- Jonah Lehrer Jonás Richard Lehrer is an American writer, journalist, blogger and lecturer who writes on topics related to psychology, neuroscience and the relationship between science and the humanities.
- Jonah Blechman is notable for his acting in movie This Boy's Life
- In 2011 comedy movie, Lives and Deaths of the Poets, Jonah Baker played Ernest Hemingway and Elvis Presley.
Lists having Jonah
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with J
- Girls names beginning with J
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Jon
- Girl names that ends with -nah
- Baby Names that mean Dove