Elaine name meaning
On This Page
What does Elaine mean?
All time favorite and Renowned unisex name Elaine means "Shining, Variant of Helen, Torch, Bright Light or Burst of the Sun" which is primarily used in Swedish, English, French, Welsh, Norwegian, Finnish and Danish has origin in Old Greek, French, Celtic and Old Provençal.
Elaine is variant form of everlasting and illustrous Eleanor. Eleanor is derived from Helen. Eleanor is English cognate of Eleonora. Eleanor means Foreign and Variant of Helen came from Old Provençal and Old Greek.
Elaine is English cognate of Helene. Also Elaine is English cognate of A Welsh Name Meaning Hind Or Fawn.
How do I pronounce Elaine?
The two syllabled name Elaine is commonly pronounced as eh-LAYNE. The name can also be pronounced as ee-LAYNE, e-lai-ne or ee-lane.
Variants of Elaine
Alaine, Eleanor, Alana, Alienor, Eleonora, Aleanor, Aline, Helene, Helen, Selene, Eilen, Leni, Leny, Aalana, Alline, Alayne, Alanus, Elenora, Eleonore, Elna, Alianne, Alina, Eileen, Elle, Leona, Ilene, Helenmarie, Selen, Selina, Eilin, Lenia, Lena
How popular is the name Elaine?
Elaine was a very popular name in United States. Over 258378 babies have been given the moniker in 196 years. When at its peak in 1938, it ranked 42nd when 7063 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls.
However after 196 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still dominating the charts. Additionally, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 12 times Also, Elaine was among the popular names in Ireland.
Since emerging in 1964 around 10627 babies have been given the name. When at its peak in 1982, the moniker grabbed the 6th spot and 607 baby girls were given the name.
However after 54 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 10 baby names 1 times
Elaine used to be a common name in New South Wales, first appeared in 1952 and over 396 babies have been given the name in 4 years.
When at its peak in 1952,. After 4 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Elaine is a unique baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 900 names.
In 1996, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 823 on girl names chart when 27 babies were named Elaine. Over 401 people have been named Elaine in England and Wales.
Elaine is an uncommon baby name in France, although it has been in use since 1917 but could not make beyond the top 600. There are over 306 babies that have been given the name Elaine in France.
Also, it appeared first time in 1996 on baby girl names list of Belgium. However things change on global perspective, Elaine is extremely popular in Brazil where every 1 in 500 have the name as well as in England.
Also the baby name is popular in Canada, Philippines, Scotland, South Africa, Australia, Malaysia, Jamaica and Wales. According to our findings, at least 1140000 people have been bestowed Elaine around the globe.
Elaine in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
What numerology tells about Elaine?
If you notice someone being superficial, you walk away. In love, you act childish and don't care much about the feelings of your partner because you start relationships without falling in love first. Once you fall in love, everything changes. You can hardly resist a temptation, a trait which affects your relationships in a negative way. You don't want to do to others what you don't want to experience yourself.
Other names similar to Elaine
- Aline - Meaning of Aline is Honorable or Lovely is predominantly used in Scottish, Finnish and Danish and originated from Old Provençal and Celtic is a unisex name
- Maëlic - Maëlic's meaning is Prince or Lord is rooted from Celtic
- Danzel - The curious boy name Danzel is used especially in English and Maltese, Danzel means "Fort" is originated from Celtic
- Rion - Rare unisex name Rion is rooted from Celtic, meaning of Rion is "King" is prevalently used in English and Telugu
- Alina - The widely accepted and perennial girl name Alina is used chiefly in Danish, Arabic and French is originated from Old High German and Celtic, Alina means "Bright, Fair or Noble"
Middle names for Elaine
Some great options for attractive and new middle names to go with Elaine.
View more middle names that goes with Elaine.
Sibling Names for Elaine
Choosing a name for your baby can be an exciting and daunting task. If you've settled on the name Elaine but are struggling to choose a middle or sibling name, look no further. Here are some beautiful names that complement Elaine perfectly and make for great sibling names.
For a sister
Names for Elaine's brother
Famous people named Elaine
- Elaine Shaffer, American flutist and principal of the Houston Symphony Orchestra between 1948 and 1953
- Elaine Lee, American actress, playwright, producer, and writer
- Elaine Morgan, Welsh writer for television and the author of several books on evolutionary anthropology
- Elaine Morgan, Welsh folk singer
- Elaine Dundy, American novelist, biographer, journalist
- Elaine Douvas, has been Principal Oboe of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra
- Elaine Garzarelli, American financial analyst
- Elaine Jensen, former field hockey goalkeeper from New Zealand
- Elaine Lee, white South African-born actress of radio and theatre and stage manager
- Elaine Delmar, British singer
- Elaine Parent, American criminal known as "the world's most wanted woman"
- Elaine Viets, Midwestern American newspaperwoman and mystery writer
- Elaine Stuhr, politician
- Elaine Sisman, Anne Parsons Bender Professor of Music at Columbia University
- Elaine Elliott, former head coach of the women's basketball team at the University of Utah
- Elaine Lawler, became the first white Queen in Ghana after a ceremony in Ghana
- Elaine Glover, English actress and singer
- Elaine Murphy, Baroness Murphy, British politically independent politician and a member of the House of Lords
- Elaine Fuchs, American cell biologist
- Elaine Bernard, executive director of the Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School and a prominent member of the Democratic Socialists of America
- Elaine M. Alphin, American author of more than thirty books for children and young adults
- Elaine Goodale Eastman,
- Elaine Equi, American poet
- Elaine Pagels, American religious historian
- Elaine Chao, current United States Secretary of Transportation
- Elaine Brown, American prison activist, writer, singer
- Elaine Paige, English singer and actress best known for her work
- Elaine Marshall, current North Carolina Secretary of State; she is the first woman to be elected to that office and the first woman elected to statewide executive office
- Elaine May, American screenwriter, film director, actress
- Elaine de Kooning, Abstract Expressionist and Figurative Expressionist painter
- Elaine Cunningham, American fantasy and science fiction author
- Elaine Stritch, American actress and singer
- Elaine Sturtevant, American artist
- Elaine Carbines, Australian politician
- Elaine Showalter, American literary critic, feminist
- Elaine Barrie, American actress
- Elaine McCoy, Canadian senator
- Elaine Ziemba, Canadian former politician in Ontario, Canada
- Elaine Hendrix, American actress, model, producer, singer, dancer
- Elaine Edwards, American politician from Louisiana
- Elaine Tanner, Canadian former competition swimmer
- Elaine Tuttle Hansen, American academic administrator
- Elaine C. Smith, Scottish actress and comedian
- Elaine Youngs, American beach volleyball player
- Elaine Noble, American politician and LGBT activist
- Elaine Zayak, American former figure skater
- Elaine Anderson Steinbeck, American actress and one of the first women to become a theatre stage manager
- Elaine Miles, American actress
- Elaine Scarry, American essayist and professor of English and American Literature and Language
- Elaine Lordan, British actress
- Elaine Joyce, American actress
Lists having Elaine
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- Celtic Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- French Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Welsh Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Boy names that ends with -ine
- Popular Girl Names in United States (1957)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (1998)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (1955)
- Baby Names that mean Shining
- Baby Names that mean Torch
- Baby Names that mean Bright
- Baby Names that mean Light
- Baby Names that mean Burst
- Baby Names that mean Sun