Maya name meaning
On This Page
What does Maya mean?
Maya is a feminine given name with multiple origins and meanings.
In Hebrew, Maya is a variation of the name Mayim, which means "water."
In Sanskrit, Maya means "illusion" or "magic."
In Arabic, Maya means "prosperity" or "success."
Maya is also a diminutive form of the name Maria.
The name Maya has been gaining popularity in recent years.
It was ranked as the 55th most popular name for girls born in the United States in 2017.
There are many famous people named Maya, including:
-Maya Angelou, celebrated poet and civil rights activist
-Maya Rudolph, actress and comedian
-Maya Soetoro-Ng, sister of Barack Obama
-Maya Wiley, civil rights attorney and MSNBC legal analyst
Each of these women has made a significant impact in their respective field, whether it be through their writing, acting, or advocacy work.
They serve as strong role models for young girls everywhere and show that no matter what your name is, you can achieve great things.
Maya is a beautiful and unique name for a baby girl.
It has many positive connotations, such as being associated with nature and having a strong spiritual meaning. Additionally, it is short and easy to pronounce, making it an ideal choice for parents who want their daughter's name to be both meaningful and practical.
If you are looking for a special name for your baby girl, Maya is definitely worth considering.
How do I pronounce Maya?
The most common way to pronounce two syllabled Maya is my-ah. ma-ya is another way(s) to say the name.
Variants of Maya
Nicknames for Maya
Since baby name Maya is such a short name, it is hard to converge any further but we managed scrape out few options:
How popular is the name Maya?
Maya was a very popular name in United States. Over 95597 babies have been given the first name in 94 years. At the peak of its usage in 2006, the moniker grabbed the 57th spot and 5046 baby girls were given the name.
However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 94 years but still going strong on charts. Additionally, the name has been in the top 100 baby names 17 times Also, a popular name in England and Wales with over 18053 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
At its zenith in 2015, the moniker grabbed the 37th spot and 1374 baby girls were given the name. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 5 times Also, Maya is a popular name in France given to over 13324 babies in 65 years.
At present the moniker is on a rise, in 2010, the moniker grabbed the 74th spot and 916 baby girls were given the name. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 100 baby names 13 times
Maya is common in Ireland where over 644 new-borns have been given the name since 2000.
At its zenith in 2016, 109 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 55th position. Also, Maya is a common name in Netherlands given to over 548 babies in 5 years.
Presently the name is rising, in 2018, 133 girls were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 111st position. Also, Maya used to be a common name in Belgium, first appeared in 1995 and over 2232 babies have been given the name in 23 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2008,. However after 23 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts. Also, In New South Wales, Maya was once a common name since emerging in 2005 it has been given to over 1973 babies.
When at its peak in 2011,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 15 years but it is still going strong. Also, Maya was a common name in Victoria.
Over 1179 babies have been named Maya since 2010. When at the peak of its usage in 2011,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 10 years but it is still going strong.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 50 baby names 10 times
In Switzerland, Maya is a familiar name where it had been in use since for 12 from 1998 to 2009 and had secured the place in top 200 names.
In 2008, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 125 on girl names chart when 55 babies were given the name Maya. There are over 416 babies that have been given the name Maya in Switzerland.
However things change on global perspective, Maya is extremely popular in India where every 1 in 900 have the name as well as in Indonesia. Also the baby name is popular in Nepal, Turkmenistan, Egypt, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Lebanon, Syria, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan and Russia.
According to our research, over 1830000 babies have been named Maya globally.
Maya in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Maya
If letter A is your capstone in your name, it reveals your challenging nature and ambitious perspective. Finding a way to express those hidden emotions you keep inside is the key to be content. You need to open up and allow your closest ones to enter your real world. Remember that you are not the only person who's struggling with something. And you are not alone as you think. You are an artist by soul, which is something almost everyone envies you for.
You would love these names similar to Maya
- Ubaidah - Meaning of Ubaidah is Servant of God is substantially used in Arabic and Arabic, a unisex name is rooted from Arabic
- Isir - Unisex name Isir means "Powerful or Another Name of Agni" is used in Arabic and Sanskrit
- Samah means Bounty, Promise or Saying usually used for both boys and girls is used specifically in Arabic, Hindi and Arabic
- Wasim - Meaning of Wasim is Honest or Attractive used for boys and is used mainly in Hindi, German and Arabic is originated from Arabic
- Jessenia - Famed Arabic Jessenia is especially used in Arabic and English, meaning of Jessenia is "Flower or Uncertain" is a baby girl name
Famous people named Maya
- Maya Hero Twins, shooting a perched bird demon with a blowgun
- Maya, important figure during the reign of Pharaohs Tutankhamun
- Maya Hakvoort, Dutch musical actress
- Maya Even, Canadian-born, British-based, University lecturer
- Maya Bamert, Swiss bobsledder who has competed since 2003
- Maya Lin, American designer, architect
- Maya Deren, Ukrainian-born American filmmaker and one of the most important American experimental filmmakers and entrepreneurial promoters of the avant-garde
- Maya Angelou, American poet, singer, memoirist
- Maya Rudolph, American actress, voice actress, comedian
- Maya Jupiter, Mexican-born Australian rapper, songwriter
- Maya, birth mother of Gautama Buddha
- Maya Kulenovic, Canadian artist and painter
- Maya Plisetskaya, Soviet ballet dancer, choreographer
- Maya Mishalska, Polish-born Mexican actress
- Maya Usova, Russian former ice dancer
- Maya Pedersen-Bieri, Swiss-Norwegian skeleton racer
- Maya, South Korean singer and actress
- Maya Bouskilla, Israeli pop singer
- Maya Okamoto,
- Maya Evans, British peace campaigner
- Maya Burman, French artist
- Maya Marcel-Keyes, American social and political activist and daughter of Alan Keyes
- Maya Saban, German singer
- Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff, American sci-fi and fantasy author
- Maya Ritter, Canadian actress
- Maya Harris, American lawyer, public policy advocate
- Maya Karin, German-born Malaysian film actress
- Maya Maron, Israeli actress and winner of the Israeli Film Academy Award
- Maya Moore, American professional basketball player for the Minnesota Lynx of the Women's National Basketball Association
- Maya Bond, Japanese-born American singer and musician
- Maya Ford, American musician and the bass player of rock band The Donnas
- Maya Kamath, Indian cartoonist
- Maya Nasri, Lebanese singer, recording artist, and actress
- Maya Dolas, Indian underworld gangster
- Maya Sansa, Italian actress
- Maya Singh, member of the Parliament of India representing Madhya Pradesh
- Maya Soetoro-Ng, maternal half-sister of the 44th United States President Barack Obama
- Maya Kenin in The House Without a Christmas Tree as Actress
- Maya Mitchell in When You Least Expect It as
- Maya Widmayer-Picasso in Matisse-Picasso as
- Maya Henssens in Follow the Leader as Actress
- Mayako Katsuragi in The Toxic Avenger Part II as Actress
- Maya Jane Coles is a producer of dubstep and deep house, and disc jockey of British and Japanese ancestry.
- Actor Maya Alagh, notable for movie Phool
- In 1994 drama movie, Iavnana, Maya Bagrationi portrayed N.
- In 1938 action, drama film, Watan, Maya Banerjee played N.
- In 1999 drama movie, Zman Avir, Maya Cohen portrayed Ilana.
- In 1957 romance film, Nooran, Maya Devi portrayed N.
- Maya Kudô, from 1977 drama, romance flick OL kanno nikki: Ah! Watashi no naka de, who characterized Youko.
- In 2001, Maya Kurosu portrayed the role of Yuki Kawamura in fantasy, mystery film Kamen gakuen.
- Maya Menglet, from 1958 drama, romance film Delo bylo v Penkove, who characterized Tonya.
- Maya Novoselska played leading role of Dana in 2002 comedy, drama movie Rapsodiya v byalo.
- Maya Nuryagdyyeva played the significant role of N in 1988 adventure movie Priklyucheniya na malenkikh ostrovakh.
- In 1988, Maya Shiraki portrayed the role of N In movie Tôchôma: tsumatachi no seitai.
- Maya Zabulis played leading role of Marina in 1959 drama flick Unpaid Debt.
- In 2001, Maya Zapata portrayed the role of Xóchitl in drama flick De la calle.
- In 1975 romance movie, Akasen Honmoku chabuya no onna, Maya Hiromi portrayed Aki Ôwada.
- In 1977, Maya Hamazaki portrayed the role of N in flick Semi-dokyumento: Kankô basu nure nure jakku.
- Maya Fuentes, from 1970 action, adventure film Igorota Squad, who characterized N.
- Maya Bastian played leading role of N in 2014 mystery flick The Sound Stage.
- In 1961, Maya Dass portrayed the role of N in action flick Night Bird.
- Maya Chen, from 1990 crime and horror flick Sheng Baoluo yi yuan zhi mi, who characterized the Yu Huiying.
- Maya Mukherjee characterized the pivotal role of N in 1954 drama film Subhajatra.
- Maya Lesca, from 2006 comedy and drama movie Mi fiesta de casamiento, who played N.
- In 2013, Maya Gasner played the role of Sigalit in drama film Seven Days.
- Maya Bose, from 1949 film Samapti, who played N.
- In 1944, Maya Basu characterized the role of N in drama movie Udayer Pathey.
- Maya Washington, from 2017 drama film Alaska Is a Drag, who played the Tristen.
- Maya Nasry characterized central character of Nour in 2007 action, drama film Code 36.
- Maya Dunietz portrayed key character of N in 1995 drama, war movie B'Shivim Ushtayim Lo Hayta Milhama.
- Maya Koyama portrayed central character of N in 1976 film Joshû seiyokuma.
Lists having Maya
- Boys names beginning with M
- Girls names beginning with M
- American Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Sanskrit Baby Names
- Latin Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Sindhi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Popular Girl Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Ireland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in France (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Girl Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2012)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Norway (2019)
- Baby Names that mean Mother
- Baby Names that mean Great
- Baby Names that mean One
- Baby Names that mean Durga
- Baby Names that mean Increase
- Baby Names that mean Princess
- Baby Names that mean Water
- Baby Names that mean Truth
- Baby Names that mean Wealth
- Baby Names that mean Dream
- Baby Names that mean Industrious
- Baby Names that mean Work
- Baby Names that mean Nurse
- Baby Names that mean Midwife
- Baby Names that mean Sea
- Baby Names that mean God