Elias name meaning
On This Page
What does Elias mean?
Elias is a Hebrew name meaning "Yahweh is my God". The name is derived from the Hebrew word Eliyahu, which is a combination of the two words El and Yahweh.
The name Elias was popularized by the Biblical character Elijah, who was a prophet in the 9th century BC.
Elijah was known for his miracles, including bringing a dead boy back to life and defeating the prophets of Baal in a public contest on Mount Carmel.
There are many famous people who have the name Elias.
Some of these people include:
Elias Canetti: Canetti was a Nobel Prize-winning writer and one of the most influential intellectuals of the 20th century.
Elias Romero: Romero was a Mexican general who fought in the Mexican-American War.
Elias Howe: Howe was an American inventor who created the sewing machine.
Elias Boudinot: Boudinot was an American statesman who served as the President of the Continental Congress.
If you're looking for a baby name that is unique but still has a classic feel, Elias might be the perfect choice for you.
It's a strong name with a lot of meaning behind it, and it's sure to make your child stand out from the crowd.
How do I pronounce Elias?
ee-ly-ahs is the most common way to pronounce two syllabled Elias. The other ways to say the name is e-lias.
Variants of Elias
Nicknames for Elias
Check out these nickaname options for the baby name Elias:
How popular is the name Elias?
Elias is a very popular name in United States given to over 80932 babies in 167 years. At present at its peak, the moniker grabbed the 67th spot and 5310 baby boys were given the name.
In addition to that, the moniker has been in the top 100 baby names 4 times Also, Elias is a popular name in France given to over 12980 babies in 80 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2008, the moniker grabbed the 104th spot and 692 baby boys were given the name. Additionally, the name has been in the top 500 baby names 29 times Also, Elias is a popular name in Sweden given to over 10938 babies in 14 years.
Presently the name is rising, in 2009, 1048 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 2nd position. In addition to that, the first name has been in the top 5 baby names 5 times
Elias is common in England and Wales where over 3681 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
Currently the name is hotter than ever, the moniker grabbed the 123rd spot and 471 baby boys were given the name. Also, Elias used to be a common name in Spain, first appeared in 2004 and over 610 babies have been given the name in 2 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2019,. After 2 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Also, A common name in Switzerland with over 4506 new-borns have been given the name since 1998.
Recently at its peak, the moniker grabbed the 5th spot and 326 baby boys were given the name. Also, A common name in Netherlands with over 603 new-borns have been given the name since 2015.
The name is current favorite of the parents, in 2019, it ranked 98th when 166 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, Elias was a common name in Denmark.
Over 5523 babies have been named Elias since 2004. At its zenith in 2019,. However after 16 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but it is still in a strong position.
Additionally, the given name has been in the top 50 baby names 16 times Also, Elias is common in Belgium where over 4425 new-borns have been given the name since 1995.
At its zenith in 2017, it ranked 23rd when 255 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, In New South Wales, Elias was once a common name since emerging in 2019 it has been given to over 103 babies.
At the peak of its usage in 2019,. After 1 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts.
In Finland, Elias is a unique name where it has been in use since 1999 and has secured the place in top 100 names.
In 2015, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 10 on boy names chart when 26 babies were named Elias. Over 322 babies in Finland have been named Elias. The moniker is an uncommon baby name in Ireland, in use since 2002, peaked in 2016 when it ranked 254th.
Over 137 babies in Ireland have been named Elias.
Elias is a rare baby name in Spain where it is still in use. Over 610 people have been named Elias in Spain.
and also in New South Wales. There are over 103 babies that have been given the name Elias in New South Wales. However things change on global perspective, Elias is extremely popular in Brazil where every 1 in 2000 have the name.
Also the baby name is popular in Tanzania, Mexico, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Lebanon, South Africa, Peru, Iran, Kenya, Angola, Zambia, Bangladesh, Philippines, Colombia, Zimbabwe, Uganda, DR Congo, Venezuela, Argentina, Malawi, Chile, Bolivia, Guatemala, Nigeria, Burundi, Indonesia, Cameroon, Sudan, Syria, Ecuador, Rwanda, Honduras, Dominican Republic, India, El Salvador and Panama.
As per our research, over 1310000 people has been named Elias globally.
What numbers say about Elias?
Your expression number reveals what you are best at and that would be successful businessmen, self-made millionaire, influencer, weird artist, or politician. You are a good friend who listens and never judges. You often doubt your purpose, skills, and existence. Be proud of the person you've become and don't fall in love so easy. But once they get to know you better, they see that you are nothing like presented.
If you like Elias, you would love these names
- Saham - Largely used in Hindi and Arabic recent and unexpected, Saham means "Peace or Speechless" is used for both genders
- Simran - Originated from Sikh, Unwonted Simran means "Absorbed In God or Meditation", used in Marathi, Tamil and Telugu is used usually as a gender-neutral name
- Ihsan - Origin of Offbeat Ihsan is in Arabic is used in Arabic, Hindi and Arabic aimed at both sexes, meaning of Ihsan is "Beneficent, Compassion or Beneficence"
- Fareeha - Unfamiliar girl name Fareeha means "Happy, Delighted or Joyful" is used principally in Arabic, Gujarati and Tamil
- Ayaat means Many Signs & Proofs, Plural of Ayat or Verse of the Quran is used predominantly in Arabic and Arabic is a gender-neutral name
Sibling Names for Elias
Looking for the perfect sibling name to go with your little one's name, Elias? Look no further! We've put together a list of 20 names that complement Elias beautifully, giving you plenty of options to choose from. Whether you're after something classic or unique, traditional or modern, there's sure to be a name on this list that catches your eye.
Names for Elias's sister
Names for Elias's brother
Famous people named Elias
- Elias Burneti of Bergerac, Dominican master of theology in the 13th century
- Elias Ammerbach, German organist and arranger of organ music of the Renaissance
- Elias Wakan, constructivist sculptor working since 1996 on Gabriola Island
- Elias Venezis, a major Greek novelist
- Elias Tillandz, Swedish born doctor and botanist in Finland
- Elias Chacour, Archbishop of Akko, Haifa
- Elias Wessén, prominent Swedish linguist and a professor of Scandinavian languages at Stockholm University
- Elias Khoury, Lebanese novelist, playwright, critic
- Elias Motsoaledi, South African anti-apartheid activist and one of the eight men sentenced to life imprisonment at the Rivonia Trial
- Elias Freij, Palestinian Christian politician
- Elias Blix, Norwegian professor, theologian, hymn writer
- Elias Parish Alvars, English harpist and composer
- Elias Camsek Chin, Palauan politician
- Elias Sunde, Norwegian Minister of Finance 1898–1900 and 1900–1903
- Elias Raymond, French Dominican friar from Toulouse
- Elias Phisoana Ramaema, was Chairman of the Military Council and Council of Ministers of Lesotho
- Elias Bongmba, Cameroonian-American academic
- Elias Gabriel Galvan, retired Mexican-American Bishop of the United Methodist Church
- Elias Howell, United States Representative from Ohio
- Elias "Coach" Korcoulis, cross-country and track coach for Hollis/Brookline High School
- Elias Perkins, United States Representative from Connecticut
- Elias Walker Durnford, builder of the Citadel, Quebec City
- Elias McMellen, bridge-maker and Captain in the Union Army
- Elias David Häusser, German-Danish architect working
- Elias Ngwepe, South African football player
- Elias Katz, Finnish track and field athlete
- Elias Álvares Lobo, Brazilian composer
- Elias Weber Bingeman Snider, Ontario businessman and political figure
- Elias Wen, Fr
- Elias I, Count of Maine, Count of Maine, succeeding his cousin Hugh V
- Elias II, Count of Maine, younger son of Fulk V of Anjou and his first wife
- Elias David Sassoon, second son of David Sassoon
- Elias Brown, U.S. Representative from Maryland
- Elias S. Holliday, U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Elias B. Holmes, U.S. Representative from New York
- Elias Whitmore, He completed preparatory studies
- Elias Schwarzfeld, Moldavian, later Romanian Jewish historian
- Elias Salupeto Pena, served as the representative of UNITA
- Elias Moore, American politician born into a Quaker family
- Elias Bernard Koopman, founder of the American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
- Elias Magnus Fries, scientist
- Elias James Corey, American organic chemist
- Elias M. Stein, American mathematician
- Elias Loomis, American mathematician
- Elias Rudolph Camerarius Sr., Elias Rudolph Camerarius Sr
- Elias Peter Hoayek, 72nd Patriarch of Antioch for the Maronites
- Elias Zoghby, Melkite Greek Catholic Archbishop of Baalbek and a leading advocate of Catholic-Orthodox ecumenism
- Elias Canetti, German-language author, born in Ruse
- Elias Boudinot, lawyer and statesman from Elizabeth
- Elias Disney, father of Roy and Walt Disney
- Elias Lönnrot, Finnish physician
- Elias Nelson Conway, American politician
- Elias Howe, Elias Howe Jr
- Elias Ashmole, English antiquary, politician, officer of arms
- Elias Boudinot, writer, newspaper editor
- Elias Cornelius Boudinot, attorney
Lists having Elias
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Czech Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Dutch Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- German Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names
- Hungarian Baby Names
- Hindi Baby Names
- Bengali Baby Names
- Gujarati Baby Names
- Kannada Baby Names
- Malayalam Baby Names
- Marathi Baby Names
- Tamil Baby Names
- Telugu Baby Names
- Italian Baby Names
- Norse Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Portuguese Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Yiddish Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Eli
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Switzerland (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Netherlands (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Denmark (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Denmark (2012)
- Popular Boy Names in Belgium (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Sweden (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in Norway (2018)
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Lord
- Baby Names that mean Jehovah
- Baby Names that mean Yahweh
- Baby Names that mean Salvation
- Baby Names that mean One
- Baby Names that mean Prophet