Elijah name meaning
On This Page
What does Elijah mean?
Elijah is a Hebrew baby name that means “the Lord is my God”. It is derived from the Hebrew אלי and יהו, which are the names of God in the Old Testament.
Elijah was a very popular name in the Biblical era, borne by many characters in both the Old and New Testaments. In recent years, it has been gaining popularity again as a biblical name for boys.
There are many famous people named Elijah, including:
-Elijah Wood, American actor; Elijah Muhammad, African-American Muslim minister and human rights activist; Elijah Cummings, American politician; Elijah Whitney, American inventor of the cotton gin
After reading this article, you may agree that the name Elijah is a great choice for a baby boy.
Not only is it a strong and handsome name, but it also has a rich history and meaning behind it. If you are looking for a name for your son that is unique but still has traditional roots, then Elijah might be the perfect choice for you.
How is Elijah regarded as a baby name?
Elijah is a popular baby boy name that has been around for centuries. It originates from Hebrew and means "the Lord is my God." Elijah is a strong and distinguished name that exudes confidence and power.
It's a name that parents choose for their baby boys when they want them to have a strong spiritual foundation. Elijah is also associated with wisdom, leadership, and success, making it an excellent choice for parents who want their son to grow up to be confident and successful in life.
Overall, Elijah is a timeless name that has stood the test of time and continues to be popular among parents today.
How do I pronounce Elijah?
The most common way to pronounce three syllabled Elijah is e-li-jah.
Variants of Elijah
Nicknames for Elijah
Some probable nicknames for baby name Elijah include:Names that rhyme with Elijah
How popular is the name Elijah?
Elijah was among the n extremely popular names in United States. Since emerging in 1880 around 295158 babies have been given the given name. At the peak of its usage in 2018, 13955 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 7th position.
However after 187 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still performing better than most of the names. Moreover, the name has been to the top 10 baby names 3 times Also, a popular name in England and Wales with over 12743 new-borns have been given the name since 1996.
At present peaking at the charts, 1519 boys were bestowed the name and it was ranked at 41st position. In addition to that, the name has been in the top 50 baby names 4 times
Elijah used to be a common name in France, first appeared in 1995 and over 2484 babies have been given the name in 46 years.
When at the peak of its usage in 2017,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 46 years but it is still going strong. Also, Elijah was a common name in Netherlands.
Over 661 babies have been named Elijah since 2015. At the peak of its usage in 2017,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 6 years. Also, Elijah is common in New South Wales where over 3379 new-borns have been given the name since 2003.
Presently the name is rising, in 2018, it ranked 13rd when 333 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys. Also, Elijah used to be a common name in Queensland, first appeared in 1997 and over 3099 babies have been given the name in 22 years.
At the peak of its usage in 2019,. However the graph is now showing a downward trend after 22 years but it is still going strong. Also, In Western Australia, Elijah was once a common name since emerging in 2019 it has been given to over 108 babies.
When at its peak in 2019,. After 1 years of usage, the name has fallen out of the charts. Moreover, the first name has been to the top 50 baby names 1 times Also, A common name in Victoria having over 1702 recievers in 12 years of usage.
Currently the moniker is on a rise, in 2019, it ranked 20th when 247 parents chose the moniker for their baby boys.
Elijah is a unique baby name in Ireland, it has been in use since 2000 and was able to reach the top 200 names.
Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 133 on boy names chart when 46 babies were named Elijah. Over 420 babies in Ireland have been named Elijah. Also, in Switzerland, it has been in use since 1998 and was able to reach the top 300 names.
Recently in 2016, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 209 on boy names chart when 44 babies were named Elijah. There are over 374 babies that have been given the name Elijah in Switzerland.
Also, in Belgium, the name has been in use since 1999 and has secured the place in top 300 names. Recently in 2018, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 242 on boy names chart when 49 babies were named Elijah.
There are over 360 babies that have been given the name Elijah in Belgium.
Elijah is a rare baby name in Western Australia still in use today. There are over 108 babies that have been given the name Elijah in Western Australia.
But Elijah is a popular baby name in Nigeria where every 1 in 3000 have the name as well as in, Kenya, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, Malawi, Uganda, South Sudan and Sudan.
As per our estimate, over 320000 babies have been bestowed Elijah around the globe.
Elijah in Nordic countries
What numbers say about Elijah?
You have to pay attention to your surroundings and the people you hang out with. You are compassionate and always put other people's needs before yours. You neglect your own issues and helping other is more important to you. Number 9 as your expression no represents your higher purpose in life. You have to see it before it happens and you have to believe you can do this. You are always there to help people in need with a good advice or do something that would ease up their situation, or at least make them feel more comfortable in their own skin.
Do you like Elijah? You would love these names
- Sarika - Rare girl name Sarika has its origin in Hebrew, meaning of Sarika is "A Thing of Beauty or Nature" is used predominantly in Sanskrit, Bengali and Tamil
- Ibrahim - Ibrahim's meaning is Abraham, Arabic Form of Abraham or My Father is Exalted is originated from Arab and Hebrew and a boy name is especially used in Sindhi and Marathi. In 2018, lofty Ibrahim was the 400th most popular name in baby boy names list in United States
- Kashmira - Kashmira's meaning is Grape, The Holy City or From Kashmir is used as a unisex name that came from Sanskrit is majorly used in Hindi and Sindhi
- Roya - Unheard-of Roya is used commonly in Arabic, Roya means "Vision Dream, A Dream Come True or Dream" is a baby girl name
- Eitzaz chiefly is used in Hindi and Arabic bestowed upon boys, meaning of Eitzaz is "Name of Prophet"
Middle names for Elijah
These familiar and endearing middle names flows beautifully with the baby name Elijah .
View more middle names that goes with Elijah.
Sibling Names for Elijah
Looking for the perfect sibling names to complement your little Elijah's moniker? Look no further! Check out our list of unique and timeless baby names that will perfectly match Elijah's charm and charisma. Whether you're looking for traditional, classic, or trendy names, we've got you covered!
Sister to Elijah
Names for Elijah's brother
Famous people named Elijah
- Elijah Craig, Baptist preacher in Virginia
- Elijah Fenton, English poet, biographer and translator
- Elijah Masinde, Bukusu activist
- Elijah Steele, early Northern California pioneer, jurist
- Elijah Ward, U.S. Congressman during the American Civil War and the Reconstruction era
- Elijah Mizrachi, Talmudist and posek, an authority on Halakha
- Elijah Bond, American lawyer and inventor
- Elijah E. Unger, served as Los Angeles City Auditor
- Elijah Hall, officer in the Continental Navy
- Elijah Porter Barrows, American clergyman and writer
- Elijah Hedding, American bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church
- Elijah Embree Hoss, American bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church
- Elijah Mudenda, Zambian politician
- Elijah Bashyazi, Karaite Jewish hakham of the fifteenth century
- Elijah Ba'al Shem of Chełm, Polish rabbi who served as chief rabbi of Chełm
- Elijah Martindale, Indiana pioneer and a leader of the Restoration Movement
- Elijah Lagat, was born and raised in Saniak Village
- Elijah Leonard, Ontario businessman and political figure
- Elijah Spira, was son of Benjamin Wolf Spira
- Elijah ben Solomon Abraham ha-Kohen, was dayyan of Smyrna, almoner and preacher
- Elijah Williams, eminent British chess player of the mid-19th century
- Elijah Hise, United States diplomat and U.S. Representative
- Elijah W. Reed, ship captain from Brooklin, Maine
- Elijah Benamozegh, Italian rabbi and a noted Kabbalist
- Elijah B. Lewis, U.S. Representative from Georgia
- Elijah V. Brookshire, U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Elijah Risley, U.S. Representative from New York
- Elijah Spencer, American politician from New York
- Elijah Miller, lawyer and judge in Auburn, New York
- Elijah Wood, American actor, film producer
- Elijah McCoy, Canadian born African American inventor and engineer
- Elijah Impey, British judge
- Elijah Blue Allman, American musician
- Elijah Muhammad, black religious leader
- Elijah Parish Lovejoy, American Presbyterian minister, journalist
- Elijah Cummings, American politician and the U.S. Representative for
- Elijah Harper, Canadian politician and Chief of his Red Sucker Lake community
- Elijah Abel, was one of the earliest African-American members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Elijah Baley, fictional character
- Elijah Hise Norton, US Congressman
- Elijah Churchill, soldier for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War
- Elijah S. Grammer, Republican Senator from Washington
- Elijah Boardman, senator from Connecticut
- Elijah H. Mills, American politician from Massachusetts
- Elijah Clarke, American military officer
- Elijah E. Myers, leading architect of government buildings
- Elijah Millgram, American philosopher
- Elijah Babbitt, Republican United States Representative
- Elijah Tana, former Zambian footballer
- Elijah Webb Chastain, American politician, soldier and lawyer
- Elijah DeJesus in Pearl as Actress
- Elijah T. Kelly in Blame as Actor
- Elijah Oliver in Selma as Actor
- Elijah Nash in Quest as Actor
- Elijah Burke in Pope: Against All Odds as
- Elijah Cook in The Source Awards as Actor
- Elijah Kelly in Like a Virgin as
- Elijah Grissom in Against the Grain as Actor
- Elijah Velarde in Casa de mi Padre as Actor
- Elijah Post composed the music of short Action Supremo
- Elijah Murphy, from 2012 comedy movie We Do Monsters: Nemesis Von Smith, who characterized Doc Benton.
- Elijah Castillo, from 2010 drama, romance flick Mayohan, who characterized Nino.
- In 2012, Elijah Nelson played the role of Ira J. Finkelstein in comedy, family film Ira Finkelstein's Christmas.
- Elijah Manning characterized the pivotal role of James In horror flick Hopeless.
Lists having Elijah
- Biblical Baby Names
- Boys names beginning with E
- Girls names beginning with E
- American Baby Names
- English Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Arabic Baby Names
- Danish Baby Names
- Finnish Baby Names
- Norwegian Baby Names
- Swedish Baby Names
- Popular English Boy Names
- Boy names that starts with Eli
- Girl names that ends with -jah
- Popular Boy Names in United States (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in England & Wales (2018)
- Popular Boy Names in New South Wales (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Queensland (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Northern Territory (2019)
- Popular Boy Names in Victoria (2019)
- Popular Girl Names in Victoria (2012)
- Baby Names that mean Sweet
- Baby Names that mean Smart
- Baby Names that mean Loving
- Baby Names that mean Beautiful
- Baby Names that mean God
- Baby Names that mean Yahweh