Adelaide name meaning
What does Adelaide mean?
Acclaimed and Ceaseless Adelaide came from Old High German and Germanic, meaning of Adelaide is "Noble and Fight or Of Noble Figure" bestowed upon baby girls is used primarily in English, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, French, Danish and Italian. Adelaide is variant of widespread and all time favorite Adela. Adela is short form of names with "nobility". Adela is Italian cognate of Adele. Also Adela is German cognate of Names Containing the Name Element Adal. Originated from Germanic and Old High German, Well-Known and Venerable Adela, Adela means "Nobility, Noble Kind and Love". Also Adelaide is form of Adélaïde in Nordic language. The name is celebrated on 16 December.
How do I pronounce Adelaide?
The most common pronunciation of two syllabled Adelaide is add-ah-layd. It can also be pronounced as a-delai-de or ad(e)-laide.
Variants of Adelaide
Adalheidis, Adaliz, Adelais, Adalayde, Adela, Adele, Adalaide, Adelise, Adalie, Adell, Alline, Aileen, Alana, Alina, Aline, Aleit, Eline, Ellen, Elina, Eleonore, Adelice, Alice, Adelheid, Adélaïde, Adalhaid, Adalheid, Lettie, Aleida
Nicknames for Adelaide
Here is the list of Potential nicknames for given name Adelaide:
How popular is the name Adelaide?
Adelaide was a popular name in United States. Over 27115 babies have been given the name in 139 years. When at its peak in 1883, it ranked 179th when 1227 parents chose the moniker for their baby girls. However after 139 years, the name is currently sliding down on the charts but still going strong on charts. Moreover, the given name has been to the top 500 baby names a staggering 60 times
Adelaide used to be a common name in France, first appeared in 1900 and over 9925 babies have been given the name in 171 years. At its zenith in 1900,. However after 171 years, the name is on free fall on the charts. Adelaide is a familiar baby name in England and Wales, it has been in use since 1996 and was able to reach the top 600 names. Recently in 2017, it achieved its highest ever ranking of 549 on girl names chart when 79 babies were named Adelaide. There are over 883 babies that have been given the name Adelaide in England and Wales.
Adelaide is an uncommon baby name in Ireland still in use today. But Adelaide is a popular baby name in Brazil where every 1 in 4000 have the name as well as in, Angola, Mozambique, Ghana, South Africa, Portugal and Italy. At least, 220000 people around the globe have been given the name as per our evaluation.
Adelaide in Nordic countries
|First Name||Secondary Name||First Name||Secondary Name|
Here's what numbers has to say about Adelaide
You never get tired from trying to be better than you were yesterday. Don't judge someone the moment you meet the person but give people time to prove their value. You need to practice listening. You have a sharp focus and nothing slips your eye. You have no enemies. You don't believe much in love. However, deep inside, you secretly wish to find someone who will prove you wrong. You are secretive when it comes to your dreams and goals because you believe that the fewer people know about your ideas and happiness, the longer you will stay happy and motivated.
Parents who liked Adelaide, loved these names
- Annika - Specifically used in Dutch and Telugu noteworthy, Annika means "He (God) Was Gracious, God has Shown Favour or God is Gracious" which is rooted from Hebrew is aimed at girls. Among baby girl names, trendy Annika bagged 466th position in 2010 in United States
- Cecily - Widely Accepted girl name Cecily means "Blind, Indication of the Gender of Caecilier or Blind One" and is used majorly in Norwegian, Latin and Finnish has its origin in Latin language
- Gianni - The well-known unisex name Gianni came from Hebrew, Gianni means "Yahweh is Gracious or The Lord is Gracious" is notably used in Gujarati, Hindi and Italian
- Landen - Widespread unisex name Landen means "From the Grassy Plain". It is rooted from Old English is particulary used in English
- Berta - Predominantly used in Finnish, Italian and Swedish durable and darling, Berta is originated from Spanish, Czech and Hungarian and is aimed at girls, meaning of Berta is "Glorious, Splendid or Bright"
Sibling Names for Adelaide
Adelaide is a beautiful name with German origins that means 'noble'. Here's a list of sibling names for Adelaide.
Names for Adelaide's sister
Brother to Adelaide
Famous people named Adelaide
- Adelaide of Italy, Holy Roman Empress by marriage to Holy Roman Emperor Otto the Great; she was crowned as the Holy Roman Empress with him by Pope John XII
- Adelaide of Holland, Dutch regent
- Adelaide Kemble, English opera singer of the Victorian era
- Adelaide del Vasto, was countess of Sicily as the third spouse of Roger I of Sicily
- Adelaide Filleul, Marquise de Souza-Botelho, French writer
- Adelaide Fries, foremost scholar of the history and genealogy of the Moravians
- Adelaide T. Crapsey, American businesswoman
- Adelaide Boddam-Whetham, British archer
- Adelaide of Hungary, only daughter of King Andrew I of Hungary of the Árpád dynasty and Anastasia of Kiev
- Adelaide of Susa, Countess of part of the March of Ivrea and the Marchioness of Turin
- Adelaide Livingstone, American-British human rights activist responsible for organising the Peace Ballot in 1934–35 to gauge the British public's sentiment
- Adelaide Anderson, British civil servant and labour activist
- Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, queen consort of the United Kingdom and of Hanover as spouse of William IV of the United Kingdom
- Adelaide Hoodless, Canadian educational reformer
- Adelaide of Maurienne, was, by birth, a member of the House of Savoy
- Adelaide of Aquitaine,
- Adelaide Abankwah, when she tried to immigrate to the U.S. as a refugee claiming to be fleeing female genital cutting and seeking political asylum
- Adelaide Ristori,
- Adelaide Ferreira, Portuguese singer
- Adelaide Crapsey, American poet
- Adelaide Neilson, British stage actress
- Adelaide Hall, American-born UK-based jazz singer and entertainer
- Adelaide of Normandy, sister of William the Conqueror and was Countess of Aumale
- Adelaide Sinclair, Canadian public servant
- Adelaide Tambo, prominent anti-apartheid activist, political exile
- Adelaide of Austria, Queen of Sardinia by marriage to Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia
- Adelaide Ironside, Australian artist
- Adelaide Kane, Australian actress
- Adelaide University Football Club, Adelaide University Football Club Inc
- Adelaide of Paris, Frankish queen
- Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, wife of King Miguel I of Portugal but only following his deposition
- Adelaide Doughty, Australian-British political figure
- Adelaide Casely-Hayford, Sierra Leone Creole advocate, an activist for cultural nationalism
- Adelaide of Vohburg, was Duchess of Swabia from 1147 and German queen
- Adelaide Herrmann, well-known American magician and vaudeville performer billed as "the Queen of Magic
- Adelaide C. Eckardt, Officeholder
- Adelaide Aglietta, Italian politician
- Adelaide Clemens, Australian actress
- Adelaide Hanscom Leeson, early 20th-century artist and photographer
- Adelaide de Sousa in Daqui P'ra Frente as Actress
- Adelaide Wilder in Vacation as Actress
- Adelaide Teixeira in Estrada de Palha as Actress
- Adelaide Humphreys in Hang on to Yourself as Actress
- Adelaide Miller in Lonely in America as Actress
- Adelaide Anne Procter was a British poet and philanthropist.
- Adelaide M. Chase acted in movie Motherhood: Life's Greatest Miracle
- Adelaide Chiozzo, from 1957 comedy, musical movie Garotas e Samba, who portrayed Didi.
- In 1919 drama film, Who Will Marry Me?, Adelaide Elliot played Charlotte Van Tyne.
- In 1919 drama film, The Lackey and the Lady, Adelaide Grace portrayed N.
- Adelaide Prince portrayed the main character of Ypres - Flemish episode in 1917 drama movie National Red Cross Pageant.
Lists having Adelaide
- Girl names beginning with A
- American Girl Names
- English Girl Names
- German Girl Names
- Danish Girl Names
- Finnish Girl Names
- French Girl Names
- Italian Girl Names
- Norwegian Girl Names
- Swedish Girl Names
- Popular English Girl Names
- Girl names that starts with Ade
- Baby Names that mean Noble
- Baby Names that mean Kind
- Baby Names that mean Fight